Catedral de Santiago (Antigua Cathedral) Tours and Activities
The stark and silent beauty of the ruins of Catedral de Santiago (Antigua Cathedral) offers visitors one of only a few quiet and contemplative escapes in the 500-year-old city of Antigua. Once a towering homage to religion and faith, this European-inspired white stone wonder was devastated during a massive earthquake in 1717 and never repaired. Today, travelers can explore what remains of this unique structure, whose exterior tells a story of triumph and perseverance. It’s only when visitors pass by the reconstructed façade that they find what can only be described as broken beauty.
Covered hallways and altars now exist under open skies, since ceilings and rooftops that crumbled during natural disasters were never replaced. Delicate white engravings and vast ivory archways are tinged and darkened with dirt after so many years of being exposed to the elements. Visitors can explore the grounds, climb crumbling staircases and bear witness to exquisite views of the church and the charming streets of surrounding Antigua.
Tours and Activities to Experience Catedral de Santiago (Antigua Cathedral)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Antigua Guatemala + Chocolate Tour
- La Antigua Cultural Walking Tour
- Half Day Experience in Antigua Guatemala - Collective tour
- GUATEMALA City & ANTIGUA Guatemala, 1 Full Day Each.
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in San Luis Talpa
- Things to do in Flores
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands