ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
Built in 1997, this enormous temple complex atop a 7-acre (3-hectare) hill is a popular stop on pilgrimages and most city tours. The complex has six shrines, a gold-plated flag post, and various shops selling snacks and religious materials. Daily activities include worship, philosophy talks, and devotional chanting. The temple also runs a variety of special programs for Hindu festivals and other important holidays.
Things to Know Before You Go
The temple is a great place to visit for those interested in religion and local culture.
Note that the temple closes a few hours daily for lunch; check ahead for timings.
Dress conservatively and be prepared to take off your shoes before entering.
How to Get There
The ISKCON Temple is located in the Rajajinagar area of North Bangalore on Chord Road. It’s about 6 miles (10 kilometers) northwest of the city center. The nearest metro station is Mahalakshmi, a 5-minute walk from the temple. The Green Line runs south into the city from here, connecting to the Purple Line at Nadaprabhu Kempegowda Station; for Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace and Bangalore Fort, get off at Krishna Rajendra Market.
When to Get There
The temple is open daily, from early morning until well in the evening, with breaks for lunch on weekdays. It's a year-round attraction, though the most atmospheric time to visit is when the temple community is celebrating one of many Hindu festivals, such as Deepotsava (Diwali) in October or November or Holi (the festival of colors) in early spring.
Adherents of ISKCON are often known in the West as Hare Krishnas for their frequent use of the Hare Krishna mantra. Although the organization has a large presence in India, it was originally founded in the US in the 1960s by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, an Indian renunciate who played a major role in promoting Indian philosophy in the West, at the peak of the counterculture movement of the '60s and '70s.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- National Gallery of Modern Art
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
- Vidhana Soudha
- Sri Chamarajendra Park (Cubbon Park)
- Fun World & Water World
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)
- Bangalore Palace
- Bannerghatta National Park
- Bangalore Fort (Kempegowda's Fort)