Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
Lalbagh Botanical Gardens offers much more than just plants and flowers. Popular attractions within the palace include the greenhouse; a replica of South London's Crystal Palace and Lalbagh rock, a granite hillock with a tiny temple at its precipice. Many group and private tours of the city stop in the gardens, and visitors willing to wake up early Sunday mornings can join a local naturalist, Vijay Thiruvady, to learn about the flora in the park.
Things to Know Before You Go
The gardens are great for families with young kids.
Don’t forget sunscreen, bug spray, and comfortable shoes.
The gardens are not suitable for wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The gardens are located in the southern part of Bangalore and can be accessed via four different entrances at Lalbagh Road, Double Road (where there's also a parking lot), Jayanagar, and Basavanagudi. The Lalbagh metro station is located on the western side of the garden, near the lake. It’s about a 10-minute ride to the Krishna Rajendra Market stop, near Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace and Bangalore Fort.
When to Get There
The garden is open from sunrise to sunset every day and is a popular year-round attraction, though visitor numbers peak during the biannual Lalbagh Flower Show held on Republic Day (January 26) and Independence Day (August 15). If you do come in August (or at any point during the June–September monsoon season), make sure to bring a raincoat and some shoes that you don't mind getting muddy.
Lalbagh Flower Show
Held twice a year on Independence Day and Republic Day, the Lalbagh Flower Show features all sorts of floral displays both within the greenhouse and out in the main part of the garden. The shows often have themes, ranging from the local film industry to the Indian Armed Forces, while various musical and educational events complement oftentimes grandiose botanical displays.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Sri Chamarajendra Park (Cubbon Park)
- Vidhana Soudha
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- National Gallery of Modern Art
- KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- Bannerghatta National Park
- Bangalore Palace
- Fun World & Water World
- Bangalore Fort (Kempegowda's Fort)