Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace (Daria Daulat Bagh)
The palace's biggest draw is its incredible architecture, with regal arches, towers, and domes covered with images of battle scenes. The interiors are painted with floral patterns, and there's an on-site museum showcasing artillery, coins, military medals, and furniture, along with a collection of oil paintings depicting the sultan and his life. The palace is a popular stop on day trips from Bangalore to Mysore, and many tours of the area stop here.
Things to Know Before You Go
The summer palace is a must-visit for history buffs and architecture lovers.
Photography is not allowed inside the palace.
Remember to wear comfortable shoes for exploring the palace and its grounds.
How to Get There
Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace is located about 80 miles (129 kilometers) southwest of Bangalore and 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of Mysore in the town of Srirangapatna, on the Bangalore–Mysore road. There’s regular bus and train service between the two cities, and most hotels in Mysore and Bangalore can arrange for round-trip transportation by taxi.
When to Get There
The palace is open daily from 9am to 5pm, but it’s best to visit first thing in the morning, when it’s at its least crowded. Weather may also play a factor for the best time to visit; if you’re coming from Mysore or Bangalore during the rainy monsoon season (June through August or September), give yourself a little extra time to get there, as wet roads can slow down traffic.
The palace is decorated with frescoes in the Mysore painting style, a form of ancient painting that was revived after Tipu Sultan's rule. The paintings often feature scenes from battles or Hindu mythology and are traditionally painted in steps, starting with the background and later adding elements to the foreground before detailing it with gesso, or gold foil.
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Chennai
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
- Lalbagh Botanical Gardens
- Vidhana Soudha
- Sri Chamarajendra Park (Cubbon Park)
- ISKCON Temple Bangalore (Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Planetarium
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- Indira Gandhi Musical Fountain
- National Gallery of Modern Art
- KR Market (Krishnarajendra City Market)
- Ragigudda Sri Prasanna Anjaneya Temple
- Fun World & Water World
- Bannerghatta National Park
- Bangalore Palace
- Bangalore Fort (Kempegowda's Fort)