El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre (El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria)
This free attraction ranks among the most important architectural landmarks in El Born, but it’s often overlooked by visitors. Raised walkways within the center let guests walk above the excavations, and informational signage in English offers insight into the displays. The center is also home to an excellent bookstore and Catalonian tapas restaurant. Those with an interest in architecture can explore the cultural center, along with other distinctive sights, on an architectural walking tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre is a must-visit for history and architecture buffs, as well as budget travelers.
The space itself is free to enter, but some special exhibitions charge a separate admission fee.
The cultural center is wheelchair accessible, though the archeological site itself is not.
How to Get There
El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre is located in La Ribera within easy walking distance of almost anywhere in the Old City. To get there via public transportation, take the Barcelona Metro (Line 4) to Barceloneta Station.
When to Get There
The cultural center is open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 8pm. The center makes a pleasant escape from the summer afternoon heat. Check the calendar of events before you visit to see what special programming might be scheduled.
Architecture of El Born Market
When El Born Market was built in 1876, it was the first example of cast-iron architecture in the city. Designed in 1871 by Catalan architect Josep Fontserè, the building was part of a larger civic project to renovate Barcelona’s markets. Other cast-iron markets followed, most notably St. Antoni in 1882 and Barceloneta in 1884.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Barcelona Zoo
- El Born
- França Railway Station (Estació de França)
- Chocolate Museum (Museu de la Xocolata)
- Barcelona La Ribera
- Picasso Museum (Museu Picasso)
- St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral (Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar)
- European Museum of Modern Art (MEAM)
- Ciutadella Park (Parc de la Ciutadella)
- Santa Caterina Market (Mercat de Santa Caterina)
- Barcelona City History Museum (MUHBA)
- History Museum of Catalonia (Museu d'Historia de Catalunya)
- Ciutat Vella (Old Town)
- Frederic Mares Museum (Museu Frederic Mares)