Freixenet Winery (Celler Freixenet)
Combine a visit to the renowned Freixenet Winery with stops at other acclaimed winemaking estates and vineyards on a day trip from Barcelona, or choose an excursion with non-wine elements, such as hiking or visits to Montserrat. For travelers on a time budget who don’t want to organize independent transport, private or small-group excursions to Freixenet Winery typically include round-trip transport, as well as tastings. There are also quicker half-day options available.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Visiting Freixenet Winery on an excursion that includes round-trip transfers from Barcelona means you can taste the wine and cava with designating a sober driver.
- Choose from a full- or half-day visit to Freixenet Winery according to your schedule.
- Most tours include tastings and the sparkling wines are also available for purchase on site.
- Children can enjoy a trip to Freixenet Winery, with cava samples swapped out for grape juice. Plus those under eight go free.
- Visitors with limited mobility may find navigating some of the steps difficult.
How to Get There
Freixenet Winery is situated in Sant Sadurní d’Anoia in Altes Penedes. You can arrive independently by train in around an hour from either Barcelona-Sants or Barcelona Placa Catalunya. (The Winery is a stone’s throw from Sant Sadurní d’Anoia station.) For travelers who are unsure about navigating Spanish trains, there are several tour options with round-trip transportation included.
When to Get There
Tours at Freixenet Winery can fill up fast, due to the attraction’s popularity, so book in advance if possible. However, it is open and offers tours every day of the week at a range of different starting times. If you want to avoid the biggest crowds, consider visiting midweek or outside of Barcelona's summer peak season.
Tastings at Freixenet Winery
Given the prolific nature of Freixenet Winery, it can be overwhelming trying to decide which sparkling wines to sample. If you want to try their top-of-the-line range, the Cordón Negro is a popular choice, although the Carta Nevada is equally recommendable. Alternatively, up the ante with a prestige bottle, such as Malvasia or Garnatxa Subirat Parent. You can also purchase these wines at the winery and take them home to enjoy later.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Sant Sadurni d'Anoia
- Bodegas Torres
- Sant Joan Funicular Railway
- L'Escolania de Montserrat
- Montserrat Mountain
- Colonia Güell
- Casa Bacardí Sitges
- Cau Ferrat Museum (Museu del Cau Ferrat)
- Maricel Museum (Museu de Maricel)
- RCDE Stadium
- Collserola Park (Parc de Collserola)
- Estrella Damm Factory
- Collserola Tower (Torre de Collserola)