Sant Joan Funicular Railway Tours and Activities
The Sant Joan Funicular Railway runs from the Montserrat Monastery up to the very peak of the mountain. Built in 1918 for monks wishing to pray at the Hermitage of Sant Joan, it trundles up the 65-percent gradient to 1,000 meters (3,280 feet) above sea level for stupendous views across the wild, arid landscapes of Catalonia.
Visitors who ride the Sant Joan Funicular to the top of the mountain are rewarded with a bird’s-eye view of the monastery below. From here, signposted walking trails wind around the surrounding peaks of Montserrat Natural Park. Hiking tours of Montserrat Mountain typically include a ride up the funicular, with the option to ride or walk back down after the hike. A small museum near the upper station highlights the plants and animals found in the surrounding wilderness.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Sant Joan Funicular is the easiest way to reach the viewpoint at the top of Montserrat.
- Choose between a single or return ticket, depending on whether you plan to ride or walk back down.
- A one-way trip along the funicular railway takes about seven minutes.
- How to Get There
- The lower terminal of the funicular is located near the Montserrat Monastery. To get there, ride the Cremallera cog railway from the bottom of Montserrat Mountain to the monastery or the cable car from Montserrat Aeri.
When to Get There
The Sant Joan Funicular runs every 20 minutes from midmorning to evening throughout the year. It’s busiest during the months of July and August, so expect long lines during this period.
Santa Cova Funicular
Visitors to Montserrat have another funicular option upon arrival at Montserrat, the Santa Cova Funicular. This cable railway takes visitors slightly back down the mountain to Santa Cova, a cave sanctuary where legend says some local shepherds found an image of the Virgin Mary, now housed within the monastery.
7 Tours and Activities to Experience Sant Joan Funicular Railway
Frequently Asked Questions
- Sagrada Familia and Montserrat Small Group Tour with Hotel pick-up
- Montserrat Small Group or Private Tour Hotel pick-up
- Montserrat and Sitges Easy Hike with Hotel Pickup from Barcelona
- Half-Day Tour to Montserrat from Barcelona with Cable Car and Easy Hike
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées