Hilo Cruise Port
Head to downtown Hilo after docking—just 2 miles (3 kilometers) away—and explore independently or as part of a guided tour. Either way, stops at the King Kamahameha statue, the Lili’uokalani Gardens, and the Naha Stone are essential. Shore excursions are also popular and time-efficient ways to visit attractions such as the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Kona coffee plantations, and the Hamakua Coast. Many tours will cover the main highlight of the Big Island in just one day.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Public transport is limited on the Big Island of Hawaii, so rental cars are the best way to explore; however, shore excursions are also convenient options.
- Welcome shows featuring Hawaiian dancing and music often await passengers at the Hilo Cruise Port.
- Free shuttles run between the Hilo Cruise Port and the Walmart in downtown Hilo.
- Expect heavy rainfall at night in Hilo, one of the wettest destinations in the northern hemisphere.
- Visitors docking between November and May can expect to see whales off the coast of the Big Island.
How to Get to Hilo From the Hilo Cruise Port
Hilo Cruise Port is situated just 2 miles (3 kilometers) from downtown Hilo, on the east side of the Big Island. Taxis, buses, and rental car shuttles offer port pickup, while a free shuttle runs between Hilo Cruise Port and Walmart. Navigating the island is easiest by car or shore excursion with included round-trip transportation.
The currency in Hawaii is the US dollar and there are ATMs in downtown Hilo. Both English and Hawaiian are the official state languages, although you may also hear Spanish, Tagalog, and Japanese.
- Kona (Kailua Bay) Cruise Port
- Kailua Pier
- Kona (Kailua-Kona)
- Hulihee Palace
- Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park
- Kahaluu Beach Park
- Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation
- Keauhou Bay
- Kona Cloud Forest Sanctuary
- Kekaha Kai State Park (Kona Coast State Park)
- Honokohau Harbor
- Kona Coffee Living History Farm
- Captain Cook Monument
- Kealakekua Bay
- Hualalai Volcano
- How to Get Off the Beaten Path on the Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Spend 3 Days on the Big Island
- How to Spend 1 Day on the Big Island
- Where to Stay on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities on the Big Island of Hawaii
- First-Timers Guide to the Big Island of Hawaii
- Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Summer