Kahua Ranch Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Kahua Ranch showcases traditional Hawaiian cowboy (paniolo) culture at a working cattle ranch in the Big Island’s West Kohala mountains. You can take part in authentic ranching experiences, from trail rides and roping to line dancing and songs around the campfire, while learning about the role that ranching played in Hawaiian history.
Experience the 8,500-acre (3,440-hectare) ranch on a horseback ride that traverses the mountainside and offers panoramic ocean views. The ranch offers daily open range rides and opportunities for personalized riding experiences. If you prefer a fast-paced version, you can explore the ranch on a two-hour guided ATV tour. Complete your day on the ranch with a traditional Hawaiian barbeque, campfire tales, and stargazing.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Kahua Ranch is the perfect getaway for horse lovers and history buffs.
- Bring comfortable long sleeve clothes and sturdy close-toed shoes for horseback and ATV rides.
- The ranch is located at 3,200 feet (975 meters) above sea level, so bring a jacket for chilly evenings.
- Reservations are required for sunset dinners.
How to Get There
Kahua Ranch is located 27 miles (43 kilometers) off of the Hawaiian Belt Road, outside of Waimea. It is one hour by car from the Kona International Airport and 90 minutes from Hilo International Airport. You can reach the ranch by rental car, the Big Island’s Speedishuttle, or by booking an outing at the ranch that includes transportation.
When to Get There
You can visit the ranch year-round, but expect warmer weather and more action on the ranch during the summer. For the full experience, visit Kahua Ranch on a Wednesday evening for the sunset dinner.
The Wednesday Evening Sunset Dinner Show
Every Wednesday evening the ranch comes alive with a traditional Hawaiian barbeque attended by guests from across the island and beyond. After dinner, join in line dancing, roping, horseshoes, and campfire songs before wrapping up the evening with stargazing and macadamia nut pie.
Address: 59-564 Kohala Mountain Rd, Waimea, HI 96743, USA
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Kahua Ranch
No results found!
Things to do near Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Get Off the Beaten Path on the Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Spend 3 Days on the Big Island
- How to Spend 1 Day on the Big Island
- Where to Stay on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities on the Big Island of Hawaii
- First-Timers Guide to the Big Island of Hawaii
- Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Summer