Also known as the White Bridge or Calatrava Bridge, the Zubizuri Bridge typically features in city walking tours, although while some excursions factor in time to cross the bridge, others simply admire it from a distance. Most visitors use the Zubizuri Bridge as a crossing point to reach the nearby Guggenheim museum, but you should also take time to appreciate this architecturally impressive landmark in its own right, pausing mid-crossing to soak up the panoramic views over Bilbao.
Things to Know Before You Go
A visit to the Zubizuri Bridge is easy to fit into even the tightest schedule, ideal for travelers with limited time in the region.
The once infamous and slippery glass deck has since been covered with a non-slip covering.
Each night, the bridge comes to life thanks to lights built into the walkway.
There are wheelchair accessible ramps on both sides of the Zubizuri Bridge.
How to Get There
The Zubizuri Bridge spans the Nervión River, connecting Campo Volantín with Uribitarte. Although accessible via public transit, the Zubizuri Bridge can only be crossed on foot, in a wheelchair, or by bicycle. The closest metro stations are Moyúa and Abando, while the light rail system stops right next to the bridge—depart at Uribitarte.
When to Get There
The Zubizuri Bridge is publicly accessible year-round and can be visited at any time of day or night. Visit in the morning to avoid the worst of the day’s crowds and snap photos of the view but be sure to return at night to see the glass walkway light up.
What to Do Nearby
The Zubizuri Bridge is typically used by travelers visiting the Guggenheim or heading towards the Artxanda Funicular. However, there’s plenty more to enjoy nearby. Take a stroll through the Doña Casilda Park and pay a visit to the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum, or head south to sample pintxos (Basque tapas) in the popular Abando neighborhood.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in La Coruna
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Artxanda Funicular (Funicular de Artxanda)
- San Vicente Martír de Abando Church (Parroquia de San Vicente Martir de Abando)
- Guggenheim Museum
- Moyua Square (Plaza Moyúa)
- Arriaga Theatre (Teatro Arriaga)
- Bilbao Fine Arts Museum (Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao)
- Casco Viejo
- Bizkaia Museum of Archaeology
- Azkuna Zentroa
- Bilbao's Santiago Cathedral
- Basque Museum (Museo Vasco de Bilbao)
- Doña Casilda Iturrizar Park
- Euskalduna Palace (Palacio Euskalduna)
- River Maritime Museum (Museo Maritimo Ria)