Bizkaia Museum of Archaeology
This chronological collection showcases the history of Bizkaia with archaeological artifacts ranging from pre-historic times to the modern world. The permanent collection contains the materials collected from several excavations in the area, including ancient tools, ceramics and pottery. The two floors display pieces of history from periods as diverse as the Iron Age, the Middle Ages, and even the Stone Age. Many of the items originated at the nearby excavation site at Santimamiñe cave, in Kortezubi.
The museum houses modern conservation and restoration facilities and doubles as a center for research and classification. Audio and video in the exhibits explains prehistory, early rituals, the history of Bilbao, and the processes of archaeology. Educational presentations work to connect the artifacts of the past and the historical and cultural heritage of this area with the awareness of modern society.
The Bizkaia Museum of Archaeology is located at Calzadas de Mallona, 2, in the Old Town of Bilbao. It is in Calzadas de Mallona, near the Basque Museum of Bilbao. It is open Tuesday to Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm and then 4 pm to 6:30 pm, and on Sundays from 10:30 am to 2 pm. General admission is 3 €, with a reduced entrance fee of 1,50 € for children and seniors.
- Basque Museum (Museo Vasco de Bilbao)
- Casco Viejo
- Bilbao's Santiago Cathedral
- Arriaga Theatre (Teatro Arriaga)
- San Vicente Martír de Abando Church (Parroquia de San Vicente Martir de Abando)
- Zubizuri Bridge
- Artxanda Funicular (Funicular de Artxanda)
- Moyua Square (Plaza Moyúa)
- Azkuna Zentroa
- Guggenheim Museum
- Bilbao Fine Arts Museum (Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao)
- Doña Casilda Iturrizar Park
- Euskalduna Palace (Palacio Euskalduna)
- River Maritime Museum (Museo Maritimo Ria)