Port of Bordeaux
Most visitors docking in the Port of Bordeaux have just a day to explore this historic city. Opting for guided city tours can be a way to make the most of your visit, although wine excursions to nearby vineyards such as Médoc and Chateau Mouton Rothschild are also popular day-trip options that typically include round-trip transportation. If you’re exploring independently, don’t miss the Opera National de Bordeaux or the La Cité du Vin Wine Culture Museum—skip-the-line tickets can help save time at the latter.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Port of Bordeaux is made up of six separate ports. Smaller cruise ships typically dock right in the city center at Bordeaux proper (Port de la Lune), although some dock at Le Verdon.
- Port de la Lune is within walking distance of the Bordeaux tourist office and other amenities. There’s also free Wi-Fi.
- If docking at Port de la Lune, watch from deck as your ship navigates the Gironde Estuary, which is lined by a kilometer of 18th-century architecture.
- Many Bordeaux attractions can be explored on foot, but the tramway is also easy to navigate. There are ticket kiosks at all tram stops.
- The Port of Bordeaux is situated on a tidal river meaning gangways will always be relatively steep.
How to Get to Bordeaux From the Port of Bordeaux
The Port of Bordeaux is a river port which lies 60 miles (90 kilometers) inland from the Bay of Biscay. Cruise liners typically dock around a 30-minute drive from the city center, although smaller boats dock at the quay just outside Bordeaux proper. Most shore excursions will include port pickup and drop-off.
The official language of Bordeaux is French but English is generally spoken and understood in shops, restaurants, and other tourist attractions. The currency is the Euro. As the river is tidal, keep in mind that the gangway may change angle quite dramatically between your arrival and departure.
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Place de la Bourse (Place Royale)
- Quai Louis XVIII
- Rue Sainte-Catherine
- Grand Theatre
- Girondins Monument (Monument aux Girondins)
- Port of the Moon (Port de la Lune)
- Porte Cailhau
- Quinconces Square (Place des Quinconces)
- Pont de Pierre
- Bordeaux Hôtel de Ville (Palais Rohan)
- Porte de Bourgogne
- Bordeaux Cathedral (Cathédrale St. André)
- Place Gambetta
- Museum of Aquitaine (Musée d'Aquitaine)
- Grosse Cloche