Dolphin Beach (Playa Delfines)
A favorite among locals and travelers looking to get off the beaten path, the untouched nature of Playa Delfines offers an escape from the busyness of Cancun. While the shores are calm, proceed with caution when dipping your toes in the ocean here: the current can be strong and the waves impressive. During the day, lifeguards patrol the beach.
Things to Know Before You Go
Playa Delfines is ideal for folks looking for a quieter alternative to Cancun’s more popular beaches.
Pack your own food and drink, or purchase lunch from the street vendors serving traditional Mexican fare.
Be on the lookout for dolphins in the water (after all, delfines means dolphins in Spanish).
The bold “Cancun” sign featured in many of the city’s advertisements is located at this beach.
How to Get There
Playa Delfines is about 11 miles (18 kilometers) from the center of Cancun, and is easily accessible by taxi or local bus from the ADO station. You can also grab the R1 or R2 bus from their stops all along the hotel zone. The beach offers free public parking, though spots can be hard to find.
When to Get There
Arrive early if you want to snag one of the built-in beach umbrellas. If you’re hoping to snap a photo of the “Cancun” sign, plan to get there before 8am to avoid the crowds—wait times to shoot the sign can be an hour or longer. Peak travel season in Cancun is December to April, and hurricane season can stretch from June to as late as December.
Another lovely option for secluded sands is Isla Mujeres, located off the northeastern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, right off the coast of Cancun. Several sailing tours stop at the tiny island, where you can relax at a beach club and browse the artisan shops for the day. If you have ample time, spend the night so you can enjoy quiet evenings and empty beaches once the tour boats depart.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Mayan Museum of Cancun (Museo Maya de Cancún)
- Mandala Beach Club
- Cancun Hotel Zone (Avenida Kukulkan)
- Ventura Park
- Interactive Aquarium Cancun
- Cancun Wax Museum (Museo de Cera Cancún)
- La Isla Shopping Village
- Cancun Underwater Museum of Art (Museo Subacuático de Arte)
- Mandala Cancun Nightclub
- Captain Hook Cancun
- Cancun Scenic Tower (Torre Escénica)
- Jolly Roger Pirate Ship
- Cancun Airport VIP Lounge
- Xoximilco Cancun
- Cenote Nohoch Nah Chich