Old Medina of Casablanca (Ancienne Medina)
Found in the north of the city between the port and the majestic seafront Hassan II Mosque, the Old Medina of Casablanca (Ancienne Medina) contains the last vestige of pre-20th century Casablanca. Up until the French took over in 1907, the coastal city was defined by this small area, encircled by defense walls and presided over by the Portuguese-built Borj Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdallah fort. Today, the modern city has grown out in all directions but the historic quarter remains, still surrounded by the remnants of its city walls and 18th century fort.
Today, the maze of narrow alleyways that trace the Old Medina are home to a sprawling souk, selling everything from linens, brass-work and leather goods to traditional handicrafts, jewelry, food and spices. In stark contrast to the elegant squares and grandiose architecture of the modern town, strolling around the Old Medina is like stepping back in time, where you can rummage for goods among the ramshackle stalls and haggle for bargains while sipping sweet mint tea with the friendly merchants.
Old Medina of Casablanca (Ancienne Medina) Tours and Activities
Should I book Old Medina of Casablanca (Ancienne Medina) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Old Medina of Casablanca (Ancienne Medina) 2021?
What's the best way to experience Old Medina of Casablanca (Ancienne Medina)?
- Tour of Casablanca attractions in Electric Scooter.
- CASABLANCA: Discovering & Walk Inside Old Medina
- Casablanca Small-Group City Tour WITH Private Option
- Casablanca: The Medina and Beyond Morning Cultural Walking Tour
Things to do near Casablanca
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Chefchaouen
- Things to do in Boumalne Dades
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Ouarzazate
- Things to do in Ouzoud
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in Northern Morocco