Spread out over 10 acres (four hectares) of rural land, this cultural center is divided into five sections, each dedicated to the art of a different part of South India. Dancers, musicians, and puppeteers, perform throughout the day in the open-air venue. Most visitors stop here on the way back from Mahabalipuram as part of a day tour, though there is a guest house for those wishing to stick around a bit longer.
Things to Know Before You Go
- DakshinaChitra is a must-visit for anyone interested in learning about local craftsmanship (or wanting to purchase high-quality art).
- Bring sun protection and comfortable shoes: you’ll probably be doing a lot of walking.
- DakshinaChitra has a gift shop and an on-site restaurant, and outside food is not allowed in the museum.
How to Get There
Dakshina Chitra is located right on the coast off of East Coast Road, in the village of Muttukadu, south of Channei. There are taxis available in the area, though it’s sometimes cheaper to book a round-trip or come as part of a tour. The nearest bus stop is at MGM Dizzee World, about a three-minute walk away, which serves bus lines 109, 588, and 599.
When to Get There
DakshinaChitra is open every day of the week except Tuesdays. Because much of the property is outside, it's a good idea to take the weather into consideration and try to visit during the cooler, dryer time of year (October through March). If you come in April or May, come first thing in the morning to avoid the heat.
Visitors to DakshinaChitra Museum may also consider stopping by the Cholamandal Artists’ Village, a 15-minute drive north up the coast. This self-supporting artist village hosts a couple dozen painters and sculptors at a time and features a series of galleries (with artwork for sale) and a performance area.
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Anuradhapura
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Sigiriya
- Things to do in Central Sri Lanka