St. Mary’s Church
St. Mary’s Church, the small Anglican church within the walls of Fort St George, is the oldest masonry building within the fort. Consecrated in 1680, the church is said to be the first Anglican church in Asia and the oldest remaining English church in India. Work began on the church in 1678 on Our Lady’s Day, giving it its current name.
Except for a new steeple, much of the bombproof structure remains in its original condition, including the roof and arcade aisles. The church’s 104 tombstones were relocated and used to lay pavement after the French besieged Chennai in 1758 and 1759 and used as gun platforms when Hyder Ali invaded the city in 1782. Since then they’ve been restored to their old positions around the church. Keep an eye out for the gravestone of Elizabeth Baker, the oldest British tombstone in the country.
Elihu Yale, founder of Yale University, was the first man to be officially married in the church, and three of the daughters of Job Charnock, the founder of Kolkata (Calcutta), were baptized here.
Tours and tickets to Experience St. Mary’s Church
What are St. Mary’s Church hours of operation?
Should I book St. Mary’s Church tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit St. Mary’s Church 2021?
What's the best way to experience St. Mary’s Church?
- Tamil Nadu Temples Tour Package from Chennai
- South India Church Tour - 5n6d
- South India Tour Packages from Chennai to Goa - 23 Days
- Private Tour: Half-Day Chennai Sightseeing with Government Museum and Kapaleeshwar Temple
Things to do near Chennai
- Things to do in Tamil Nadu
- Things to do in Pondicherry
- Things to do in Thanjavur
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Jaffna
- Things to do in Madurai
- Things to do in Coimbatore
- Things to do in Munnar
- Things to do in Tuticorin
- Things to do in Kochi
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Northern Sri Lanka
- Things to do in Kerala
- Things to do in Hyderabad
- Things to do in Central Sri Lanka