With three days to discover Cozumel, go beyond the basics to see a side of the island many visitors overlook. After you take in perfect beaches, candy-colored reefs, and the party scene, ditch the crowds to ride jungle trails, fly through the treetops, and discover ancient Maya ruins. Here’s how.
The Mayan Cacao Company
Carretera Costera Sur Km. 15.000, Zona Hotelera, Cozumel, 77600
Exhibition highlights include a replica of a typical Mayan home and chocolate history exhibits. You can explore The Mayan Cacao Company independently or on a guided tour, which ensure you learn more than if visiting alone. Many guided tours include a skip-the-line admission ticket, which proves especially useful for cruise ship passengers and travelers on a time budget. For something more hands-on, choose a margarita and chocolate making package.
Things to Know Before You Go
Chocolate lovers won’t want to miss the opportunity to learn about, sample, and buy Mexican chocolate at The Mayan Cacao Company.
Time-pressed travelers can purchase skip-the-line tickets in advance.
The Mayan Cacao Company has a well-stocked gift shop full of chocolate products.
After exploring the grounds, relax with a drink at the onsite bar and take advantage of free Wi-Fi.
The Mayan Cacao Company is both stroller and wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Located beside the Playa Mia Beach Club, The Mayan Cacao Company is a 30-minute drive from Cozumel Cruise Port. Drive there independently, following the Quintana Roo C-1 road, or use a private taxi service. For maximum convenience, choose a tour that includes round-trip transportation.
When to Get There
The Mayan Cacao Company opens every day except Sunday, from 8am to 4pm. To beat the crowds and the heat, arrive early. Chocolate and margarita workshops typically begin around 11am.
After a chocolate tour of The Mayan Cacao Company, spend some time on one of Cozumel’s many beaches, do a loop of the island in a rented golf buggy, or go snorkeling at a world-class coral reef. For travelers interested in the latter, there are several snorkeling tour options that allow you to visit several reefs over just a few hours.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Playa Mia Grand Beach Park
- Mr. Sancho's Beach Club Cozumel
- Playa Palancar
- Corona Beach (Playa Corona)
- Palancar Reef
- Discover Mexico Park Cozumel
- Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park
- Columbia Reef
- Santa Rosa Wall
- Cozumel Cruise Port
- Paradise Reef (Paraíso Reef)
- Tormentos Reef
- El Mirador Lookout
- Punta Sur Eco Beach Park (Faro Celerain Ecological Reserve)
- Chankanaab Adventure Beach Park