Nejjarine Square (Place Nejjarine)
The word nejjarine means “carpenter”, and fine woodworking is on display not only at the Nejjarine Museum but at the nearby Nejjarine Souk (Carpenters’ Souk), which sells ornately carved chairs. Most travelers, however, are here to see the museum, a showcase of delicate carpentry in its own right, and the fountain, a popular stop on many walking tours of the Medina of Fez.
Things to know before you go
- Nejjarine Square is narrow and tough to capture on film. The square in front of Bab Bou Jeloud is a better photography choice.
- Back carriers will work better than strollers for parents with young children.
- The cobbles will challenge many travelers who rely on wheelchairs. It’s best to book a specialist tour or guide (and/or wheelchair pusher) to see Fez medina, as the streets are narrow, crowded, and often steep, and adapted bathrooms are rare.
How to get there
Nejjarine Square sits in the heart of the Medina of Fez, less than a 10-minute walk south of Bab Guissa gate and a little to the west of Kairaouine Mosque. Bus 10 runs to Bab Guissa from the train station.
When to get there
The museum is open from mid-morning until late afternoon seven days a week, and the square looks at its best during daylight hours.
The Nejjarine Fountain (Fontaine Nejjarine)
Don’t expect the tinkling play of sprays of water when you visit this celebrated early 18th-century fountain, a protected national monument since 1916. The Nejjarine Fountain is styled more like a drinking trough, and the basin below its colorful horseshoe-shaped arch was designed for wudu, or purification before Islamic prayers. The charm is in the colorful zellige tile work and filigree plaster, not the waterworks.
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Chefchaouen
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Nejjarine Museum of Wooden Arts and Crafts (Musée Nejjarine)
- Al-Attarine Madrasa
- Medina of Fez (Fes el-Bali)
- Bab Bou Jeloud (Bab Boujeloud)
- Dar Batha Museum
- Zaouia Moulay Idriss II
- Fez Mellah (Jewish Quarter)
- Royal Palace of Fez (Fes Dar el-Makhzen)
- Kairaouine Mosque (Mosque of al-Qarawiyyin)
- Moulay Idriss