Zaouia Moulay Idriss II
Built in the 9th-century to house the tomb of Moroccan ruler and city founder Moulay Idriss II, the Zaouia Moulay Idriss II was completely restored in the 14th century and now stands as the city’s holiest shrine. The zawiya is an important place of pilgrimage for Moroccans, who believe that its blessings can bring good luck and fertility.
Non-Muslims are not permitted to enter the mausoleum, but it’s worth a look if only to admire the elaborate exteriors, including exquisite wooden arches, carved plasterwork and an ornately tiled mzara, where alms are passed through a brass slot. A peek through the door offers a glimpse of the richly decorated tomb, often surrounded by freshly lit candles and incense.
Should I book Zaouia Moulay Idriss II tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Zaouia Moulay Idriss II 2021?
What's the best way to experience Zaouia Moulay Idriss II?
- Fez Medina With Tour Guide ( Privete )
- Fes Medina Guided Full Tour
- Full-Day Private Tour of Fez
- Fes Medina Circuit (All comfort)
Things to do near Fez
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Chefchaouen
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Andalucia