German Film Museum (Deutsches Filmmuseum)
This museum’s exhibits chronicle Germany’s filmmaking history, from the development of photography and film to the work of the German Film Institute (Deutsches Filminstitut). Highlights include historic filmmaking equipment and projectors, a screening area showing movie clips, and hands-on exhibits on sound production and film editing. The Film Museum also hosts regular temporary exhibitions—past shows have been devoted to luminaries like Stanley Kubrick and genres like anime—as well as film screenings and workshops.
Things to Know Before You Go
Plan about two hours to visit this museum.
Exhibits are in both English and German.
General entrance tickets offer access to the permanent exhibitions only; reduced price combination tickets for the permanent and temporary exhibitions are also available. Discounted entrance is offered with the Frankfurt Card.
There is a café and gift shop at the museum.
The museum is wheelchair accessible
How to Get There
The Film Museum is located along Frankfurt’s Museum Embankment on the south bank of the River Main, right by the Untermain bridge. The closest U-Bahn station is Schweizer Platz (U1, U2, U3, and U8).
When to Get There
The museum is open every day except Monday. For the full experience, combine an afternoon visit to the museum with an evening screening or look for special events and exhibitions. The museum also hosts special events during Frankfurt’s Museum Night (in April) and Museum Embankment Festival (in August).
Frankfurt’s Museum Embankment
The German Film Museum is one of over a dozen museums situated along Frankfurt’s riverfront Museum Embankment. Directly opposite the film museum is the Museum of World Cultures; the popular Museum of Communications is next door; and the Städel Art Institute, one of Germany’s leading art museums, is just two doors down. Also on the embankment are the German Icon Museum, the German Architecture Museum, and the Frankfurt History Museum.
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in South Holland
- Städel Museum (Städelsches Kunstinstitut und Städtische Galerie)
- Frankfurt Cathedral (Frankfurter Dom)
- Goethe House & Museum (Goethehaus)
- Römerberg Square
- St. Paul's Church (Paulskirche)
- Frankfurt City Hall (Romer)
- Iron Bridge (Eiserner Steg)
- Old Sachsenhausen
- Frankfurt Main Tower
- Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof
- Old Opera House (Alte Oper)
- Frankfurt Zoo (Zoologischer Garten Frankfurt)
- Senckenberg Natural History Museum (Naturmuseum Senckenberg)