Armazém do Mercado
Highlights of the market, which once served as an embroidery factory, include the Toy Museum, which features a 20,000-strong collection of dolls, action figures, and games that date back to the early 19th century, and a ceramic workshop that sells the blue-and-white painted pottery native to Portugal. Plus, an open-air square provides a relaxed place to enjoy Madeiran delicacies served by the restaurants and snack stalls, which are sometimes visited on food tours of Funchal.
Things to know before you go
- Though most of the vendors at Armazém do Mercado accept credit cards, it's worth taking small denominations of cash for cheaper souvenirs such as magnets.
- There are public restrooms at the market.
- In addition to the shops, there’s a traditional fish market selling seafood that’s caught fresh daily.
How to get there
Armazém do Mercado is easy to reach via public transport—it's serviced by the Blue Sul metro line. The closest stop is Mercado, from which Armazém do Mercado is a 5-minute walk. The market is also opposite Terminal Hidroviário de Porto Alegre.
When to get there
Armazém do Mercado is open daily from midmorning until early evening—it closes one hour earlier on Sundays.
Souvenir Shopping in Madeira
Thanks to its rich cultural heritage, Funchal offers a bounteous selection of artisan crafts. For world-famous Madeira wine, head to some of the island’s wine cellars. Alternatively, purchase delicate embroidery at Bordados da Madeira, or satisfy a sweet tooth with sugar syrup-based treats—including Madeira’s famous Bolo de Mel da Madeira honey cake—at Penha d'Aguia.
- Things to do in Madeira
- Things to do in Calheta
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Tenerife
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in Puerto del Rosario
- Things to do in Fuerteventura
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast