At the MFAH, museum goers can view myriad artistic styles through the works of master painters and photographers. The Beck Collection showcases Impressionist, post-Impressionist, and early Modernist works from artists like Edgar Degas, Vincent van Gogh, and Henri Matisse, while the Manfred Heiting Collection features 4,000 images taken since the invention of photography. The Glassell Collection of African Gold is notable as the largest collection of its kind in an American museum.
Basic admission grants access to the permanent collection and most exhibitions, though some special exhibitions require a separate fee. The museum is also an option on the Houston CityPASS, a multi-attraction ticket that offers discounted admission to some of Houston’s most popular attractions.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The MFAH is a must-see for art lovers and history buffs.
- Admission is free for kids under 12 years of age.
- Most public areas of the museum are wheelchair accessible, and the museum lends wheelchairs free of charge with a valid photo ID.
How to Get There
The MFAH is in Houston’s Museum District. Paid parking is available in garages along Binz Street or Montrose Boulevard, but an easier option would be to take a ride share or taxi to the museum campus.
When to Get There
The MFAH is open Tuesday to Sunday throughout the year, though Bayou Bend and Rienzi, the two museum houses, maintain separate hours. Admission is free each Thursday.
Houston Museum District
The Houston Museum District comprises 19 museums in four different walkable zones. The MFAH is in Zone 3, along with the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston and the Jung Center.
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in New Orleans
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in Sapa
- Things to do in Orange Beach
- Things to do in Branson
- Things to do in Destin
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in Alabama
- Things to do in Panama City Beach
- Things to do in Missouri