Spice Bazaar (Misir Carsisi)
Smaller than the Grand Bazaar but still sprawling, the Spice Bazaar, also known as the Egyptian Bazaar, is a feast for the senses. Built originally as part of the New Mosque complex, the bazaar is a popular central place to purchase herbs, spices and spice mixes, tea, dried fruit, dried meat, and other delicacies.
Many private and small-group tours of Istanbul combine a visit to the Spice Bazaar with stops at the Grand Bazaar and other places in Sultanahmet, including the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and Topkapi Palace.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Spice Bazaar is a must-visit for all first-time visitors to Istanbul, especially foodies.
Wear comfortable shoes to wander around the bazaar.
Some vendors accept major credit cards but have some cash on hand.
Don’t be afraid to haggle—in fact, it’s tradition and expected.
How to Get There
The Spice Bazaar is located next to the New Mosque in bustling Eminonu Square, which is a transit hub and easily reachable by many forms of transportation—take a taxi, bus, ferry, or tram to the Eminonu stop. The bazaar is also within walking distance of key attractions in the historical neighborhood of Sultanahmet and the Grand Bazaar.
When to Get There
The Spice Bazaar is open every day from 8am (9:30am on Sundays) to evening, typically around 7:30pm. The Spice Bazaar is popular with locals and visitors alike, so arrive early in the day to beat the crowds.
How to Haggle
Haggling for a better price is expected in the Spice Bazaar. Decide in advance what you would like to pay and suggest a price that is lower than that, as the vendor will try to haggle it up. Always be willing to walk away from a purchase. Often the vendor will bring down the price as you are leaving.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- New Mosque (Yeni Cami)
- Eminӧnü Square (Eminönü Meydani)
- Rustem Pasha Mosque (Rüstem Paşa Camii)
- Galata Bridge (Galata Köprüsü)
- Eminonu Pier (Eminönü Iskelesi)
- Hodjapasha Culture Center (Hocapasa Kültür Merkezi)
- Süleymaniye Mosque (Süleymaniye Camii)
- Grand Bazaar (Kapali Çarsi)
- Column of Constantine (Çemberlitaş Sütunu)
- Beyazit Mosque (Beyazit Camii)
- Gülhane Park (Gülhane Parki)
- Istanbul Archaeological Museums (Istanbul Arkeoloji Muzeleri)
- Basilica Cistern (Yerebatan Sarayi)
- Galata Tower (Galata Kulesi)
- Hippodrome (Sultanahmet Meydani)