Yildiz Palace Museum (Yildiz Sarayi Müzesi)
The large Yildiz Palace Museum property contains lovely pavilions and gardens. The museum itself, housed in the former carpentry workshop section of the palace, contains exhibitions about Ottoman sultans and the governmental history of Turkey, and has a collection of objects from the palace.
Some private and small-group Istanbul tours visit the Yildiz Palace Museum. These tours usually also include Dolmabahce Palace, Topkapi Palace, Rumeli Fortress, Pierre Loti Hill, and a Bosphorus cruise.
Things to Know Before You Go
Yildiz Palace Museum is a must-visit for history buffs.
The museum is surrounded by extensive gardens that are a popular spot for picnics.
Wear comfortable shoes to explore Yildiz Palace Museum and the surrounding grounds.
How to Get There
The Yildiz Palace Museum is most easily accessed by bus or minibus from Besiktas, or by taxi. You can reach Besiktas by ferry or bus, and the museum is a short walk from the end of the Kabatas tram line. For the most convenience, take a taxi to the museum or choose a tour that includes round-trip transportation.
When to Get There
The Yildiz Palace Museum is open from 9am to 7pm between April 16 and October 31, and to 7pm from November 1 to April 15. Arrive early in the day on a weekday to beat the crowds.
Other Ottoman Palaces in Istanbul
Yildiz Palace briefly became the center of Ottoman power when Sultan Abdulhamid II chose to move there, fearing a seaside attack. Before and after, Ottoman sultans resided at Dolmabahce, an elaborate 19th-century palace on the shores of the Bosphorus. Predating Dolmabahce Palace was Topkapi Palace, the 15th-century imperial residence on Istanbul’s historic peninsula.
- Things to do in Varna
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Ankara
- Things to do in Constanta
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Bosphorus Bridge (Bogazici Koprusu)
- Dolmabahce Palace (Dolmabahce Sarayi)
- Military Museum and Cultural Center Command (Askeri Müze)
- Taksim Square (Taksim Meydani)
- Beylerbeyi Palace (Beylerbeyi Sarayi)
- Aga Turkish Bath (Aga Hamami)
- Madame Tussauds Istanbul
- Cicek Pasaji (Flower Passage)
- Galatasaray High School (Galatasaray Lisesi)
- Museum of Innocence (Masumiyet Müzesi)
- St. Anthony of Padua Church (Sent Antuan Bazilikasi)
- Istiklal Street (Istiklal Caddesi)
- Pera Museum (Pera Müzesi)
- Istanbul Museum of Modern Art (Istanbul Modern Sanat Müzesi)