Krakow Old Town (Kraków Stare Miasto)
Start your Old Town explorations at the cobblestoned main square, Rynek Główny. One of Europe’s largest medieval town squares, Rynek Główny is nothing short of impressive with its Renaissance-era Cloth Hall (Sukiennice) and the lopsided, 14th-century St. Mary’s Basilica. The square’s interior is lined with well-appointed apartments, cafés, and bars. Most guided tours meet at Rynek Główny, then head into the interconnecting alleyways off the square to discover Old Town’s museums and other sights.
Recent reviews from experiences in Krakow
Things to know before you go
- With its mix of Gothic, Renaissance, and baroque styles, Old Town is a must for architecture enthusiasts.
- Much of Old Town is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers, though be wary of uneven surfaces.
- Children are welcome on tours, as long as they are accompanied by an adult.
- Old Town has several public restrooms, including one near Cloth Hall.
How to get there
Centrally located in Kraków’s Old Town, Rynek Główny is the easiest point of reference, should you get lost. The main railway station (Kraków Główny) is about a 4-minute drive or 12-minute walk away.
When to get there
For fewer travelers and milder weather, the best time to visit Kraków is from March to May or September to November. If you’re there in summer, check out Old Town’s outdoor markets and fairs. And if you’re willing to brave the cold, Kraków hosts a popular Christmas market in December.
Take the Royal Route
For a comprehensive tour of Old Town, take the Royal Route—a stretch of road that leads from the northern end of Old Town through the center of town all the way to the royal residence at the southern end of town. Along the way, see area highlights such as St. Florian’s Church (Kościół św. Floriana) and Wawel Castle.
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Krakow Town Hall Tower (Wieza Ratuszowa w Krakowie)
- Gallery of 19th-Century Polish Art (Galeria Sztuki Polskiej XIX Wieku w Sukiennicach)
- Krzysztofory Palace
- Cloth Hall (Sukiennice)
- Historical Museum of the City of Krakow
- St. Adalbert Church (Kościól Św. Wojciecha)
- Rynek Glowny (Main Market Square)
- Rynek Underground (Podziemia Rynku)
- Adam Mickiewicz Monument (Pomnik Adama Mickiewicza)
- Jagiellonian University (Uniwersytet Jagielloński)
- Chopin Concert Hall (Chopin Gallery)
- St. Mary's Basilica (Kościól Mariacki)
- Hipolit House (Kamienica Hipolitów)
- Maly Rynek (Small Market Square)
- Jan Matejko House (Dom Jana Matejki)