When it comes to Las Vegas, City of Sin, and a cluster of neon lights, hiking isn’t the very first thing that comes to most people’s minds. The reality, however, is that Vegas is surrounded by dozens of great hiking trails and rung by mystical mountains, with the trail to the top of Fortification Hill offering one of the area’s best views. From the top of this rocky pinnacle inside of Lake Mead National Recreation area, climbers are rewarded with panoramic views of Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam. This six-mile trail is for serious hikers who are comfortable with a little bit of bouldering, as sections in the middle can require scrambling for about 10 vertical feet. Most of the trail is straightforward, however, albeit a little steep, as the trail gains approximately 1,400 feet in a little under three miles. While you’re sure to work up a sweat when climbing—especially since there isn’t any shade—the view from the top makes every step completely worth the effort.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience Fortification Hill?
- Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury Helicopter Tour
- Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with Landing from Henderson Executive Airport
- Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with Optional Below-the-Rim Landing and Skywalk
- Grand Canyon Helicopter Flight with Colorado River Float or Kayak Trip
Things to do near Las Vegas
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Grand Canyon National Park
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Flagstaff
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Newport Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Carlsbad
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in California