Belem Tower is a popular inclusion on sightseeing tours of Lisbon and can be visited on a walking tour or as part of a full-day private tour of Lisbon, Sintra, or Arrabida. Visitors can view the tower from the waterfront steps or enter to take in the views from the bulwark terrace, peek into the Governor's Room and King’s Room, and climb to the top of the tower. Its stately face can also be viewed on a river cruise.
Recent reviews from experiences in Lisbon
Things to Know Before You Go
Combined tickets are available for the Belem Tower, the Jeronimos Monastery, and the National Archeological Museum.
The tower is closed on Mondays.
The tower is only partially wheelchair accessible; those with limited mobility will only be able to explore the exterior and the lower battery.
How to Get There
Belem Tower is located in the Belem district of Lisbon, about four miles (six kilometers) west of the city center. The easiest way to get there is by tram—take the No. 15 from Praca da Figueira in central Lisbon toward Alges, and get off at Mosteiro dos Jeronimos (one stop beyond Belem). From there, it’s a short walk through the monastery gardens to the riverfront park, where you will be able to see the tower.
When to Get There
Belem Tower is open all year round but it can get crowded during the peak summer months, so you may want to arrive early (and opt for a weekday visit if possible). For the most atmospheric photo opportunities, visit at sunset or sunrise to admire the dramatic facade.
A Walking Tour of Belem
One of Lisbon’s most picturesque districts, Belem teems with historic monuments. After marveling at the tower and visiting the Jeronimos Monastery, take a stroll through the riverside gardens, visit Belem Palace, or browse the exhibits at the Maritime Museum or the National Coach Museum. Be sure to sample local delicacy pasteis de Belem (sweet pastries) while you’re in the neighborhood.
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Berardo Collection Museum (Museu Colecao Berardo)
- Monument to the Discoveries (Padrão dos Descobrimentos)
- Lisbon Maritime Museum (Museu de Marinha)
- National Archaeology Museum (Museu Nacional de Arqueologia)
- Monastery of St. Jerome (Mosteiro dos Jeronimos)
- Belém Palace (Palacio de Belém)
- National Coach Museum (Museu Nacional dos Coches)
- Electricity Museum (Museu da Electricidade)
- Vasco da Gama Aquarium (Aquário Vasco da Gama)
- Ajuda National Palace (Palacio Nacional Ajuda)
- Lisbon Cruise Port
- Pillar 7 Experience at the Ponte 25 de Abril
- 25th of April Bridge (Ponte 25 de Abril)
- Pena National Palace (Palacio Nacional da Pena)
- Santo Amaro Docks (Docas de Santo Amaro)