Medeiros e Almeida Museum (Casa-Museu Medeiros e Almeida)
The old wing of the house museum is largely untouched and gives visitors a look into how the businessman and his wife lived, while the old wing, built by Medeiros e Almeida in the 1970s to display his collection, has more of a museum feel. What began as personal home decoration grew to 27 galleries after the post-war period, which saw a number of unique and valuable pieces come onto the market.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Medeiros e Almeida House Museum shouldn’t be missed by lovers of fine art and architecture.
Guided tours of the museum are offered by appointment only and cost a small fee.
A cafeteria and museum shop are located on site.
The museum offers free admission every Saturday.
How to Get There
The Medeiros e Almeida Museum is located block away from the swanky Avenida Liberdade. Visitors can take the yellow or blue lines to the Marques de Pombal metro stop, which is a 5-minute walk from the museum. Alternatively, visitors can take city buses 706, 709, and 744 to the Marques de Pombal bus stop just around the corner from the museum.
When to Get There
Visitors usually spend around two hours exploring the contents of the house museum. Though the museum is rarely crowded, the early morning and late afternoon hours are the least busy. Combine your visit with a walk down the famous Avenida Liberdade, known as the Champs Elysees of Lisbon, plus a stroll through the nearby Edward VII Park.
Highlights of the Museum
The Medeiros e Almeida Museum is home to a number of exquisite pieces including a silver tea set engraved with an “N” for its original owner, Napoleon Bonaparte. The Porcelain Room of the museum displays rare pieces from the Han and Qing dynasties while the Lake Room features marble and bronze wall fountains from the Palace of Versailles.
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Restauradores Square (Praca dos Restauradores)
- Avenida da Liberdade
- Marquis of Pombal Square (Praca do Marques de Pombal)
- Principe Real Garden (Jardim do Principe Real)
- Museum of Amalia Rodrigues (Fundacao Amalia Rodrigues Casa Museu)
- Carlos Lopes Pavilion (Pavilhao Carlos Lopes)
- Foz Palace (Palacio Foz)
- Miradouro Sao Pedro de Alcantara
- Bairro Alto
- Church of Sao Roque (Igreja de Sao Roque)
- Amoreiras Shopping Center
- Rossio Square (Praça de Dom Pedro IV)
- Edward VII Park (Parque Eduardo VII)
- Praça Martim Moniz