Ljubljana Castle Funicular
The Ljubljana Castle Funicular is an incline cable car, comprised of one cantilevered cabin that ascends 230 vertical feet (70 vertical meters) in just one minute and is the easiest way to access the castle.
If you plan to tour Ljubljana Castle, opt for a combo ticket, which can include entrance to the paid areas of the castle or a variety of guided tours and experiences. A ride on the funicular railway also is included as part of many city sightseeing tours, including walking tours and day tours from the cities of Koper; Zagreb, Croatia; and Trieste, Italy.
Things to Know Before You Go
The funicular is recommended for those who want to avoid the steep walk up to the castle.
One-way, return, and family tickets are available.
Each cabin can hold up to 33 passengers.
Bring a camera to capture sweeping views above the city.
The funicular is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The lower funicular station is located at Krek Square, near the Ljubljana Central Market, and within walking distance of the tourist center of Ljubljana. Many guided tours include a ride on the funicular railway.
When to Get There
The funicular operates year-round, with different hours depending on the season. The funicular departs about every 10 minutes during its hours of operation, and takes about a minute to travel between stations.
Visiting Ljubljana Castle
Visible from just about anywhere in town, the well-preserved Ljubljana Castle dates back to the 11th century and is a must-see site in the city. It’s free to walk the castle grounds, but you must purchase an admission ticket to climb the watchtower, enter the chapel, and access the History Museum and the Museum of Puppetry.
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Rovinj
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Ljubljana Cathedral (Church of St. Nicholas)
- Ljubljana Castle (Ljubljanski Grad)
- Butchers' Bridge (Mesarski Most)
- Ljubljana Town Hall (Magistrat)
- Ljubljana Old Town
- Ljubljanica River
- Preseren Square (Presernov Trg)
- Triple Bridge (Tromostovje)
- Cobblers' Bridge (Cevljarski Most)
- Congress Square (Kongresni Trg)
- Museum of Illusions
- National and University Library of Slovenia (Arodna in Univerzitetna Knjiznica)
- Dragon Bridge
- Krizanke Summer Theatre (Poletno Gledalisce Krizanke)
- Cankar Centre (Cankarjev Dom)