Piazza dell'Anfiteatro Tours and Tickets
The Piazza dell'Anfiteatro is a large square in the center of historic Lucca. As the name suggests, it was once the site of a Roman amphitheatre, one that was built in the first century and could hold up to 10,000 people. The remains of that structure now lie more than nine feet underground, but the oval shape of the piazza is a direct result of the outline of the amphitheatre.
The Piazza dell'Anfiteatro was built in 1830 by demolishing some buildings that had been constructed in the space. It became the site of the town's market, and is the heart of the old city today.
Tours and Activities to Experience Piazza dell'Anfiteatro
- Via Fillungo
- Guinigi Tower (Torre Guinigi)
- Lucca Clock Tower (Torre delle Ore)
- Church of San Michele in Foro (Chiesa di San Michele in Foro)
- Puccini Museum
- Puccini e la sua Lucca International Permanent Festival
- Lucca Cathedral (Duomo di Lucca)
- Cathedral Museum Complex (Complesso Museale e Archeologico della Cattedrale di Lucca)
- Devil's Bridge (Ponte del Diavolo or Ponte della Maddalena)