Piazza dell'Anfiteatro was created in 1830 to house the town market, and its elliptical sides are now lined with busy restaurants and cafès. Take a turn through the square during a walking or bike tour of Lucca’s top attractions, along with highlights like the Duomo di San Martino, the Church di San Michele in Foro, and the ancient city walls. Lucca is a popular day trip destination from Florence, and you can easily combine stops in Lucca and Pisa in a single tour. Other alternatives for exploring Lucca include food and wine tours in the city center or music tours exploring the city’s theaters and other landmarks connected to its rich cultural history.
Things to know before you go
- If exploring Lucca on foot or by bike, be sure to wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather.
- Piazza dell’Anfiteatro is pedestrian only, so the perfect spot for families with young kids to stop for a snack or meal at one of the outdoor restaurants.
- The square is flat and paved, and can be easily managed with a wheelchair or stroller.
- There isn’t much shade in the square, so visit in the early morning or late afternoon to avoid the hottest hours of the day.
How to get there
Piazza dell’Anfiteatro marks the center of Lucca’s old town, an easy walk from the train station. Trains run from Florence, but it’s best to join a tour with transportation included if you plan on visiting both Lucca and Pisa in a single day.
When to get there
Lucca’s squares are especially festive during July, August, and September when the city hosts a popular music festival, with concerts by Italian and international rock and pop artists.
Getting Outside in Lucca: Squares and Walls
To unwind outdoors in Lucca, you can settle in at a table at one of the cafés or restaurants in Piazza dell’Anfiteatro, or explore the medieval city walls, considered by many to be the most beautiful in Italy. Along the top of the walls, the city has created a park with trees, benches, and shady paths, making it an ideal spot for a stroll.
- Via Fillungo
- Guinigi Tower (Torre Guinigi)
- Lucca Clock Tower (Torre delle Ore)
- Church of San Michele in Foro (Chiesa di San Michele in Foro)
- Puccini Museum
- Puccini e la sua Lucca International Permanent Festival
- Lucca Cathedral (Duomo di Lucca)
- Cathedral Museum Complex (Complesso Museale e Archeologico della Cattedrale di Lucca)
- Devil's Bridge (Ponte del Diavolo or Ponte della Maddalena)