Former irrigation channels in the southeast of Madeira now offer a network of scenic trails for walks and hikes. These paths are a gateway into the peaceful countryside and some are known to have steep ledges, drawing adventurous travelers. Here’s how to explore the levada walks.
Pico dos Barcelos Viewpoint (Miradouro Pico dos Barcelos)
Estrada Comandante Camacho de Freitas, Funchal, Portugal
Pico dos Barcelos Viewpoint (Miradouro Pico dos Barcelos) is featured on multiple Madeira sightseeing tours, which provide an overview of the island’s highlights and save you the stress of advance planning. As well as free time to soak up the views from Pico dos Barcelos, tours typically cover island highlights such as Nuns Valley (Curral da Freiras) and the Eira do Serrado lookout point. Some tours also visit Pico do Arieiro, the island’s third-highest peak, and transport you in an all-terrain 4x4 vehicle.
Things to know before you go
- At the lookout point, you’ll find a kiosk that sells snacks and cold drinks, a restroom, and a souvenir shop.
- If you plan to arrive by car, there’s a parking lot a 15-minute walk from the viewpoint.
- Sturdy shoes and warm clothing are a must if you’re walking the whole way—it can be windy and cold at the top.
How to get there
Pico dos Barcelos Viewpoint (Miradouro Pico dos Barcelos) is a stop on the route of most Funchal hop-on hop-off sightseeing buses. From the center of Funchal, the lookout point is a 10-minute walk or 45-minute walk via Caminho do Olival. Buses number 9 and 12 also stop here.
When to get there
Pico dos Barcelos Viewpoint (Miradouro Pico dos Barcelos) is open from early morning until late night, even in inclement weather. The best time to visit is at sunset, when the lighting is most atmospheric.
Madeira’s Best Viewpoints
Thanks to its mountainous interior, the island of Madeira is home to several spectacular lookout points. The most popular vantage points include Cabo Girao, where a glass-floored balcony known as the Skywalk offers sweeping views of Europe’s tallest cliffs, and Balcoes, from which you see some of the island’s highest peaks.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Pico dos Barcelos Viewpoint (Miradouro Pico dos Barcelos)?
Attractions near Pico dos Barcelos Viewpoint (Miradouro Pico dos Barcelos):
What else should I know about attractions in Madeira?
- Things to do in Funchal
- Things to do in Calheta
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Tenerife
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Things to do in Azores
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Beiras
- Pico do Arieiro
- Church of Our Lady of Monte (Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Monte)
- Monte Palace Tropical Gardens
- Museum of Natural History (Municipal Museum of Funchal)
- Sé Cathedral of Funchal
- Santa Maria de Colombo
- Madeira Botanical Gardens
- Armazém do Mercado
- Madeira Story Centre
- Valley of the Nuns (Curral das Freiras)
- Eira do Serrado
- Cabo Girão
- Laurel Forest (Laurisilva)
- Portela Viewpoint (Miradouro da Portela)