Madrid Río Park (Parque Madrid Río)
Unveiled in 2008, the Madrid Rio is a popular destination snaking around 3.7 miles (6 kilometers) of the city. A stone's throw from Puerta del Sol, visitors stop by the park on numerous city tours, including Segway and bike tours—which are a great choice for basking in Madrid's famous sunshine. Traditional sightseeing tours typically stop by the Madrid Rio, and you can even catch a glimpse of the riverfront park on city center airport transfers, depending on your drop-off location.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Adventurous travelers shouldn't miss a Vespa tour—follow a guide to Madrid's top sights, with the wind in your hair the whole time.
- Travelers that want to take the guesswork out of planning can book an all-inclusive regional tour, with Madrid Rio sightseeing included.
- Remember to wear sunblock to the Madrid Rio urban beach area, since you may not find adequate shade.
- Families should visit the park's play areas, with slides, ziplines, and jungle gyms perfect for letting the kids burn off extra energy.
How to Get There
The Madrid Rio is conveniently accessible by metro, and you can choose among several stops—including Principe Pio, Puerta del Ángel, Legazpi, or Almendrales—depending on the stretch you'd like to explore. To lounge on the urban beach, hop out at Marqués de Vadillo, and find the beach across the Puente de Toledo footbridge.
When to Get There
You get the most out of the Madrid Rio in the warmer months, when skies are clear and you can bask in the famous Spanish sunshine. September and October are ideal, as are April and May—you can expect pleasant weather, and avoid the peak tourist season (and uncomfortably hot temperatures) of the summer months.
Where to Experience Madrid's Royal History Along the Manzanares River, near the Principe Pio metro stop, visitors find two must-see attractions: the neoclassical Sabatini Gardens, and the world-renowned Royal Palace. Just steps from the Madrid Rio, stop by the Sabatini Gardens to explore the hedge maze, and snap photos with the Royal Palace in the background. Next, join for a Royal Palace tour to see the rococo building's ornate interior, and celebrate the royal collection.
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Things to do in Aragón
- Things to do in Basque Country