Plaza de Cibeles
Beyond its iconic fountain—erected in 1780 and widely loved today—Plaza de Cibeles is flanked by several of Madrid's more stunning buildings, including Cybele Palace, Buenavista Palace, and the Palace of Linares. Walk due east and you'll find the must-see Puerta de Alcalá.
The plaza is free to visit, and easy to add-on to your stroll along the Paseo del Prado or Calle de Alcalá. Be sure to pair a visit here with one (or more) of Madrid's top museums. Three of the city's revered national art museums are located within walking distance: the Prado, Reina Sofía, and Thyssen-Bornemisza. For an art experience in nearby Retiro Park, both the Crystal Palace and Velázquez Palace typically feature rotating exhibitions.
Things to know before you go
*If you're walking by after a Real Madrid win, stop here to celebrate. *There's no shade here, so be sure to wear sunscreen and bring a hat if you're going to hang out in the area. *If you need to use the restroom or find a snack, head to Cybele Palace; amenities are located on the second floor.
How to get there
The Plaza de Cibeles is located in front of the Cybele Palace in central Madrid. The best way to visit is to take the metro—the 2 line runs to the nearby Banco de España station—or to hop on a guided tour. Many of the city's sightseeing tours, private tours, and even tuk-tuk tours pass the plaza.
When to get there
This outdoor attraction is best to visit when the weather's pleasant and the sun is shining. Summers in Madrid are certainly sunny, but the heat can be overwhelming. Plan to visit in spring—April and May are best—when you can enjoy pleasant weather but avoid the crowds of peak tourist season.
- Cybele Palace (Palacio de Cibeles)
- Prado Museum (Museo del Prado)
- Madrid Naval Museum (Museo Naval de Madrid)
- Círculo de Bellas Artes (CBA)
- Cibeles Fountain (Fuente de Cibeles)
- Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum (Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza)
- Mapfre Foundation (Fundación Mapfre)
- San Fernando Royal Academy of Fine Art
- National Museum of Decorative Arts (Museo Nacional de Artes Decorativas)
- Casino Gran Vía
- Cardamomo Tablao Flamenco
- Lope de Vega House Museum (Casa Museo Lope de Vega)
- Alcalá Gate (Puerta de Alcalá)
- Puerta del Sol
- Madrid Wax Museum (Museo de Cera de Madrid)
- Madrid Cooking Classes
- Madrid Nightlife
- Wine Tasting Tours from Madrid
- Flamenco in Madrid
- Madrid Football
- Toledo Day Trips from Madrid
- Top Shopping Spots in Madrid
- Things to Do in Madrid This Fall
- Visiting Madrid's Golden Triangle of Art
- Art Lover’s Guide to Madrid
- Where to Find the Best Views in Madrid
- Madrid Neighborhood Guide
- Must-See Museums in Madrid