Valldemossa and La Granja Tours
High in Tamuntana Mountains, filled with golden light and olive trees, is the old stone city of Valldemossa, built around a graceful monastery dating to the 1300s. It is a place of marvelous beauty and legendary inspiration, where Frederic Chopin composed some of his finest work, even as he lay dying of tuberculosis, and writers like George Sand and Nicaraguan poet Rubén Darío wove together their prose from its sights and sounds.
Today, Valldemossa remains a quiet escape, with fine lodging and dining, and wonderful outdoor adventures. One of the classic day trips is to La Granja, a former convent surrounded by spectacular gardens, with fountains, flowers, and botanicals from throughout the region and world. Free tastings of La Granja's ("The Farm's) jams and cheeses are heald throughout the week, but try to come on a Wednesday or Friday, for a crafts festival, equestrian show, and folkloric dancing.
Though Valldemossa lies just 17 kilometers (10 miles) from Mallorca's capital, La Palma, allow extra time to navigate the winding roads up into the mountains.
Buses to Esporles take you to La Granja, 7km (4mi) south, but run considerably less frequently, and taxis may be more difficult to arrange in Valldemossa than in La Palma. Day trips are easily arranged.
4 Tours and Activities to Experience Valldemossa and La Granja
Frequently Asked Questions
- Valldemossa and Carthusian Monastery Real Cartuja Mallorca Half Day Tour
- Valldemosa and Valley of Soller Tour in Mallorca
- Palma de Mallorca Shore Excursion: Private Tour of Palma, Deia and Soller Valley
- Visit two of the most beautiful villages of Mallorca on a private tour
Things to do near Mallorca
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Benidorm
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Algiers
- Things to do in Torrevieja
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Costa Blanca