Tickets for the ANIMA Garden, also known as the André Heller Garden, are priced towards the higher end of Moroccan attractions, but are moderate by European standards. Local residents and children aged 12–16 pay half price; under-12s get in free. Tickets include shuttle-bus transfers from downtown Marrakech, so many travelers visit independently. A popular tour option combines ANIMA Garden with a waterfall hike through the scenic Ourika Valley, a few miles farther south.
Things to Know Before You Go
ANIMA Garden is a must for anyone who loves art, gardens, or photography.
Most of the works at ANIMA are by Heller himself, but there is a smattering of work by big-name artists and upcoming Moroccan talent.
It’s worth stopping by at the café for an herbal tea made with ingredients grown in the garden.
Wheelchair access to the garden is extremely limited.
How to Get There
The ANIMA Garden is located about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of downtown Marrakech. Ticket prices include a shuttle-bus transfer from a stop behind the Koutoubia Mosque and its gardens, about a half-mile (800-meter) walk west of Djemaa el Fna. The bus runs three times a day for much of the year, but only once a day in July and August. For more flexibility, consider a private tour.
When to Get There
ANIMA Garden is open from morning until early evening seven days a week all year round, but closes over the Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha holiday periods. (These follow the Islamic calendar and can fall at different times of year.) The gardens are magical year-round but particularly special in spring, when the flowers are blooming but the Atlas are still streaked with snow.
The Best Gardens to Visit in Marrakech
Amid all the dust and chaos, Marrakech boasts some world-class gardens. Modern-art lovers and Instagrammers will adore ANIMA Garden, but don’t miss the Majorelle Garden (Jardin Majorelle). Once owned by designer Yves Saint Laurent, it’s a desert delight that dates back to the 1920s. Another great choice is Le Jardin Secret, a traditional Islamic garden set in a historic riad (courtyard mansion).
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in Ouarzazate
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Hassilabied
- Things to do in Merzouga
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Kik Plateau (Plateau du Kik)
- Atlas Mountains
- Ourika Valley (Vallée de l’Ourika)
- Oasiria Marrakech (Oasiria Water Park)
- Saadian Tombs (Tombeaux Saadiens)
- Les Bains de Marrakech
- Marrakech Medina (Medina of Marrakesh)
- El-Badi Palace (Palais el-Badi)
- Bahia Palace (Palais Bahia)
- Tiskiwin Museum (Musée Tiskiwin)
- Jemaa el-Fna (Djemaa el-Fna)
- Takerkoust Lake (Lac Lalla Takerkoust)
- Photography Museum of Marrakesh (Maison de la Photographie de Marrakech)
- Marrakesh Museum (Musée de Marrakech)