El-Badi Palace (Palais el-Badi)
Located within strolling distance of the equally magnificent Bahia Palace, el-Badi Palace is a popular destination on Marrakech sightseeing tours, as well as day trips to Marrakech from cities such as Essaouira or Casablanca. Visitors can admire the vast prayer hall and grand courtyard; spot the storks that now nest in the old palace walls; and see the famous Koutoubia minbar (pulpit), which dates back to the 12th century.
Things to Know Before You Go
There is an admission fee to visit the palace.
It’s best to visit with a guide, as there is no visitor information available.
Plan to spend about an hour to visit the palace.
Most areas of the palace are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
El-Badi Palace is located at the southern end of Marrakech’s medina, close to the Mellah Jewish quarter. Taxis stop right outside the palace. It’s about 15 minutes’ walk from Jemaa el-Fna square.
When to Get There
The palace is open daily, but it’s best to visit before midday to avoid the heat, because there’s little shade at the palace. Each year in June or July, the palace hosts the National Festival of Popular Arts, with live music and dance performances taking place within the palace grounds.
History of el-Badi Palace
King Ahmad al-Mansur spared no expense when building el-Badi Palace; the original palace was adorned with Italian marble, Sudanese gold, and intricately carved Indian woodwork. Sultan Mawlay Ismail of the succeeding Alaouite dynasty plundered those riches, leaving it almost completely bare. However, visitors can get an idea of the palace’s former grandeur, with its towering walls enclosing the traces of stately reception halls and other regal chambers.
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in Ouarzazate
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Hassilabied
- Things to do in Merzouga
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Bahia Palace (Palais Bahia)
- Tiskiwin Museum (Musée Tiskiwin)
- Les Bains de Marrakech
- Saadian Tombs (Tombeaux Saadiens)
- Jemaa el-Fna (Djemaa el-Fna)
- Marrakesh Museum (Musée de Marrakech)
- Photography Museum of Marrakesh (Maison de la Photographie de Marrakech)
- Dar el-Bacha Street (Rue Dar el-Bacha)
- Dar el Bacha Museum of Confluences (Dar el Bacha Musée des Confluences
- Ben Youssef Madrasa (Medersa Ben Youssef)
- Koutoubia Mosque (Mosquée Koutoubia)
- Majorelle Garden (Jardin Majorelle)
- Marrakech Medina (Medina of Marrakesh)
- Oasiria Marrakech (Oasiria Water Park)
- Palmeraie (Palm Grove)