Koutoubia Mosque (Mosquée Koutoubia)
Whether you’re exploring the medina on a walking or bike tour, sightseeing with a private guide, or visiting Marrakech on a day trip from Casablanca or Agadir, a photo stop at the Koutoubia Mosque is a must. Combine a stroll around the mosque’s beautiful grounds with a visit to the bustling Djemaa el Fna square, shopping in the souks, or other popular attractions such as Bahia Palace, Ben Youssef Madrasa, and the Saadian Tombs.
Things to Know Before You Go
The mosque interiors are only open to Muslim visitors, but the exterior grounds and gardens are open to all.
The surrounding park has plenty of shady areas and benches, making it a great spot to take a break from sightseeing.
The mosque grounds are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
It’s impossible to miss Koutoubia Mosque and minaret. Wherever you are in the medina, look up and you’ll spot the distinctive tower. Buses and taxis stop right outside the mosque, or walk two minutes southwest of Djemaa el Fna square.
When to Get There
The mosque is busiest during prayer times, and the call to prayer can be heard all around the medina. For the most atmospheric photos, arrive in time for sunset or ride past in a caleche (horse-drawn carriage) at night, when the minaret is dramatically floodlit.
Architecture of Koutoubia Mosque
The Koutoubia Mosque and minaret form one of the most influential buildings in the Muslim world. Buildings from the Hassan II Mosque in Rabat to La Giralda in Seville, Spain, echo Koutoubia Mosque’s intricate geometric stone work, graceful arches, and imposing square minaret. The 220-foot (61-meter) minaret is the star attraction. It’s the highest point in the city, and local laws even prevent any building from exceeding its height.
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in Ouarzazate
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Hassilabied
- Things to do in Merzouga
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Majorelle Garden (Jardin Majorelle)
- Dar el Bacha Museum of Confluences (Dar el Bacha Musée des Confluences
- Dar el-Bacha Street (Rue Dar el-Bacha)
- Jemaa el-Fna (Djemaa el-Fna)
- Ben Youssef Madrasa (Medersa Ben Youssef)
- Marrakesh Museum (Musée de Marrakech)
- Photography Museum of Marrakesh (Maison de la Photographie de Marrakech)
- Tiskiwin Museum (Musée Tiskiwin)
- Bahia Palace (Palais Bahia)
- Les Bains de Marrakech
- Saadian Tombs (Tombeaux Saadiens)
- El-Badi Palace (Palais el-Badi)
- Menara Gardens (Jardin de la Ménara)
- Marrakech Medina (Medina of Marrakesh)
- Palmeraie (Palm Grove)