Mount Royal Cemetery (Cimetière Mont-Royal)
The gravestones, meadows, and walking paths of Mount Royal Cemetery are best explored at a leisurely pace. While city tours do not typically include Mount Royal Cemetery, cemetery staff offer guided walks that highlight the site’s history and the graves of prominent Canadian figures. Alternatively, private tours of Montreal offer the flexibility to add the cemetery to a customized itinerary. Or, visit independently to see more than 145 species of plants and birds.
Things to Know Before You Go
Mount Royal Cemetery is a must for nature lovers and history buffs.
Ample on-site parking is available.
Wear comfortable shoes and layers, as the cemetery is large and can get windy.
As a burial site, the cemetery is not recommended for visitors with young children.
How to Get There
Mount Royal Cemetery is easily accessible using Montreal’s public transit system. Bus 11 stops in front of the entrance at Rue Remembrance and Chemin du Chalet. The cemetery is also a short walk from the Cote-Sainte-Catherine and Outremont stop on bus routes 51 and 129. For visitors arriving by car, ample parking is available in lots off Voie Camillien-Houde. Visitors can also hike up the Mount Royal walking paths.
When to Get There
Far from the crowds of Downtown Montreal, Mount Royal Cemetery is rarely busy. While the winter offers a snowy perspective and unobstructed views, spring and summer are the best seasons to spot wildlife and observe the site’s many plant and animal species.
Who Is Buried Here?
With panoramic views of the city from the top of Mount Royal, the cemetery has been a desired final resting place for important figures in Canadian history. These figures include Booker Prize-winning-author Mordecai Richler, Prime Minister John Abbott, Hall of Fame hockey player Howie Morenz, magician who may have caused Harry Houdini’s death Jocelyn Whitehead, and Canadian Titanic victims.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Mount Royal
- Mile End
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts)
- Montreal Botanical Garden (Jardin Botanique de Montréal)
- McCord Museum
- Dorchester Square (Le Square Dorchester)
- Plateau-Mont-Royal (the Plateau)
- Les Cours Mont-Royal
- Crescent Street (Rue Crescent)
- Montreal Little Italy
- St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal (L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal)
- Grevin Museum (Musée Grévin Montréal)
- Montreal Underground City
- Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal (MAC)