Notre-Dame Street (Rue Notre-Dame)
Travelers exploring Old Montreal as part of walking tours will most likely find themselves strolling down Notre-Dame Street at some point. As you amble along, look for well-known historic landmarks, including Notre-Dame Basilica and Montreal City Hall.
Follow Notre-Dame Street into Griffintown, Little Burgundy, and St. Henri. Here, the atmosphere is more neighborhoodlike, and lots of excellent restaurants, cafés, vintage stores, and antique shops can be found.
Things to Know Before You Go
Notre-Dame Street is a must for first-time visitors, foodies, and antique hunters.
Wear comfortable shoes as Notre-Dame Street is best explored on foot.
Tours of Old Montreal often pass along Notre-Dame Street.
How to Get There
If you want to explore Notre-Dame Street in Old Montreal, ride the metro (Orange Line) to Place-d’Armes. Notre-Dame is less than five minutes from the station on foot. For Little Burgundy, ride the metro (Green or Orange line) to Lionel-Groulx and walk down Atwater Avenue until you reach Notre-Dame. Turning left will take you through Little Burgundy and Griffintown, while a right turn will take you to St. Henri.
When to Get There
The street is best explored in summer when you can wander comfortably and stop for snacks and refreshments at outdoor terraces. If you do visit in winter, you’ll find plenty of heated stores, cafés, restaurants, and bars to duck into for warmth.
Historic Landmarks on Notre-Dame Street
Dating to 1672, Notre-Dame is one of Montreal’s oldest streets, and in the city’s historic core it is bordered by notable centuries-old structures. The Château Ramezay, an early 18th-century residence built for the French governors and now a museum, is situated on Notre-Dame, as is the Saint-Sulpice Seminary, which—having been completed in 1687—is Montreal’s oldest building.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Jacques-Cartier Square (Place Jacques-Cartier)
- Montreal Champ de Mars
- Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal (Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal)
- Montreal City Hall (Hotel de Ville de Montréal)
- Old Montreal (Vieux-Montréal)
- Bonsecours Market (Marché Bonsecours)
- Montreal Chinatown
- Montreal Science Centre (Centre des Sciences de Montréal)
- Saint Paul Street (Rue Saint-Paul)
- Old Port of Montreal (Vieux Port de Montréal)
- Lachine Canal (Canal de Lachine)
- Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica
- Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal (MAC)
- Montreal Underground City