Sometimes referred to as Pueblo Viejo by the locals, Yagul was most likely a military hub occupied by both Zapotecs and Mixtecs at various points in its history. Highlights include the Palace of the Six Patios and the hilltop Fortress, which offers panoramic views over the entire site.
Yagul is one of the region’s smaller archaeological ruins, so maximize your trip by visiting places such as Mitlá, Monte Albán, or the town of Atzompa too. Organized excursions typically stop at one or all of the above alongside Yagul and include convenient round-trip transportation.
Things to Know Before You Go
Yagul is a must-visit for history and archaeology enthusiasts in Oaxaca.
Plan to spend about an hour exploring Yagul.
There is little to no shade at Yagul, so pack a hat and wear plenty of sunblock.
There’s an on-site restroom but often no refreshment vendors; take your own water.
Yagul is not easily wheelchair or stroller accessible, due to its elevated position and dirt road access.
How to Get There
Yagul is situated around 24 miles (38 kilometers) southeast of Oaxaca City and most visitors find it easiest to arrive in a private vehicle by following Highway 190. However, organized excursions to Yagul and beyond typically include round-trip transportation. There’s on-site parking available.
When to Get There
Yagul is typically open daily to the public between 8am and 5pm. While not often busy, visit in the morning to have the place to yourself. There is no shade on-site and Yagul can get very hot in the afternoon, so time your visit accordingly.
Archaeological Sites in Oaxaca
Yagul is the smallest of Oaxaca’s three most important archaeological sites. The other two are Monte Albán and Mitlá, which can often be visited alongside Yagul during an organized day trip from Oaxaca City. However, keen history and archaeology buffs should also visit Zaachila, Dainzú, and Yucuita.
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Mexico City
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest
- Tlacolula Market (Mercado de Tlacolula)
- Teotitlán del Valle
- Hierve el Agua
- Tule Tree (Arbol del Tule)
- San Bartolo Coyotepec
- Abastos Market (Central de Abastos)
- Cacaluta Bay (Bahia de Cacaluta)
- Oaxaca Ethnobotanical Garden (Jardín Etnobotánico de Oaxaca)
- Oaxaca Culture Museum (Museo de las Culturas de Oaxaca)
- Santo Domingo de Guzmán Church (Templo de Santo Domingo de Guzmán)
- 20 de Noviembre Market (Mercado 20 de Noviembre)
- Casa Crespo
- Benito Juárez Home (Casa de Benito Juárez)