With its proximity to Palm Springs and Palm Desert, Indian Canyons is easy to visit in a day and still have time for other activities. If you’re interested in exploring with a guide, book a hiking tour to gain insight into the native vegetation and the history and culture of the Cahuilla Indians. The trails vary from easy to strenuous and feature waterfalls, rock formations, and views of the desert landscape. The 15-mile (24-kilometer) Palm Canyon has a Trading Post where you can pick up hiking maps and American Indian books, art, and other items. Murray Canyon is the least visited, located south of Andreas Canyon. Popular trails include Andreas, which is considered easy; Victor, Dry Wash, and West Fork, which are moderate; and Indian Potrero, which is strenuous.
Recent reviews from experiences in Palm Springs
Things to know before you go
- Wear sun protection and bring as much water as you can carry when hiking in the desert.
- Know the signs of sun and heat stroke before you start hiking.
- There are picnic tables available for visitors who bring their own food.
How to get there
Indian Canyons is located off South Palm Canyon Drive about 6 miles (10 kilometers) south of downtown Palm Springs.
When to get there
The canyons are open daily from October to June and on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from July to September. Guided ranger hikes take place twice a day from October to June.
Also part of the tribal lands, Tahquitz Canyon is known for its rock art and 60-foot (18-meter) waterfall located at the end of a hiking trail. Closer to Palm Springs, the canyon is popular with those looking for an outdoor activity without having to leave town.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada