Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)
A staple on many Penang or George Town sightseeing itineraries, Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram) also functions as a place of prayer and worship. Go on your own for a more contemplative experience, or visit the temple as part of a guided tour that stops at several popular attractions, such as Kek Lok Si Temple (one of the largest Buddhist temples in Malaysia) and Penang Hill (Flagstaff Hill).
Things to Know Before You Go
Before entering the temple, cover your knees and shoulders, and remove your shoes.
Entrance to the temple is free; however, consider making a small donation to light a candle.
Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram) is on the way to Batu Ferringhi, making it a convenient place to visit as you head to the beach.
How to Get There
Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram) is around a 40-minute walk or 10-minute drive from the Love Lane area in central George Town. Bus numbers 101 and 103 also run regularly from George Town, and stop near the temple. To avoid the heat and the hassle of getting there on your own, join a tour with air-conditioned transport.
When to Get There
Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram) is open daily between sunrise and sunset. To beat the crowds and spend some peaceful time exploring or meditating, arrive as early as possible.
Religious Harmony in Penang
Malaysia is renowned for its cultural diversity and religious harmony, and nowhere reflects this as well as Penang. Places of worship in Penang include Kek Lok Si Temple; the Hindu Sri Mahamariamman Temple in Little India; and Penang State Mosque, famous for its golden domes.
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Penang Botanical Gardens (Taman Botani Penang)
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (Blue Mansion)
- Little India
- Penang House of Music
- Asia Camera Museum Penang
- Upside Down Museum
- Penang Armenian Street (Lebuh Armenian)
- Penang State Museum and Art Gallery
- Penang Tunnel Museum (Penang Time Tunnel)
- George Town (Penang Georgetown)
- Khoo Kongsi (Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Clan House & Museum)
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion
- Wonderfood Museum Penang
- Fort Cornwallis