Upside Down Museum
At the Upside Down Museum, you can take photos that make it look as though you’re walking upside down or floating in odd positions. Visitors walk through the “house,” guided by staff for a more orderly procession. Most travelers visit the museum while touring the historic George Town area of Penang. You can visit independently or stop here as part of a half- or full-day guided tour of the city.
Things to Know Before You Go
Ask the staff for tips, as they know where and how to pose for the best pictures.
Women should wear pants instead of skirts to preserve the illusion.
Kids under five get free admission to the Upside Down Museum.
Make sure your camera or phone is fully charged before you arrive.
How to Get There
The Upside Down Museum is on Kimberley Street, in the George Town area of Penang. A free shuttle bus, called the CAT bus, circles George Town and stops near the museum. The district is easily navigable by foot, but most of the streets are not pedestrianized, so the shuttle bus is a good alternative to dodging traffic.
When to Get There
The Upside Down Museum is open every day, with extended hours on weekends. It’s a popular attraction that gets quite busy on weekends, meaning a longer wait to take photos. Visit midweek, if possible, to avoid the crowds.
Tour Penang’s Street Art
Penang is famous for its street art, much of which is dotted around the George Town area. A lot of the art is interactive, inviting you to pose alongside it for fun photos. New pieces pop up all the time, and older works fade, so part of the fun is not knowing exactly what you’ll see during any given visit. Join an organized street-art walking tour to see the latest works, or pick up a street-art map from tourist office for a self-guided tour.
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Little India
- Penang Armenian Street (Lebuh Armenian)
- Penang House of Music
- George Town (Penang Georgetown)
- Khoo Kongsi (Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Clan House & Museum)
- Asia Camera Museum Penang
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (Blue Mansion)
- Penang State Museum and Art Gallery
- Wonderfood Museum Penang
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion
- Penang Tunnel Museum (Penang Time Tunnel)
- Made in Penang Interactive Museum
- Fort Cornwallis
- Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)