To ensure your safety, the steep slopes of Acatenango are best summited with a guide. Tours usually depart from Antigua and typically include pickup and lunch. While the climb can be completed in a day, overnight tours let you watch the sunset and see lava explosions from adjoining Fuego from a mountain campsite. For a less physically challenging option, choose a tour that includes 4WD transport part of the way up, which shortens the hiking time.
Things to Know Before You Go
Overnight tours usually include meals and transport, though you’ll generally have to pay the entrance fee to the park yourself.
The hike up Acatenango is strenuous, and should only be attempted by those of a good fitness level.
Temperatures drop near the top, especially at night, so pack warm gear including a quality sleeping bag.
Check whether your tour includes a porter; otherwise pack light and be prepared to carry your own bag.
How to Get There
The trailhead begins at the village of La Soledad, about an hour’s drive from Antigua. Buses from Antigua are few and far between, and often require transfers, which makes it significantly easier to come as part of a tour.
When to Get There
The best time to climb is during the dry season between late November and early April. Though it can still be climbed during the rainy season, tours may be cancelled for safety reasons
What to Expect on the Hike
Hiking up to the summit of Acatenango takes about 4-5 hours.The trail begins with a steep ascent through the farm-dotted foothills, then leads into cloud forest and high alpine forest. The final stretch leads beyond the treeline and up volcanic scree, from where there are far-reaching views of neighboring peaks.
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in San Jose del Cabo
- Things to do in Los Cabos
- Things to do in Cabo San Lucas
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Mexico City
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in Baja California Sur
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Texas
- Aquaventuras Park
- Marina Vallarta
- Marigalante Galleon
- Los Arcos National Marine Park
- Banderas Bay (Bahia de Banderas)
- Vista Vallarta Golf Club
- Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe)
- Puerto Vallarta Cruise Port
- Las Caletas Beach (Playa Las Caletas)
- Gringo Gulch
- Zona Romantica
- Los Muertos Beach (Playa Los Muertos)
- Boca de Tomatlán
- Vallarta Botanical Gardens (Jardín Botánico de Vallarta)
- Marietas Islands (Islas Marietas)