Saint Angelo Bridge Methodist Church (Chiesa Metodista di Ponte Sant'Angelo)
Originally owned by the Friars of St. Celsus, Chiesa Metodista di Ponte Sant'Angelo became home to the city’s only English-language Methodist congregation in the late 19th century. Today the church, a popular venue for musical performances, holds services in English each Sunday morning.
Located in the heart of Rome’s historic center just across from Castel Sant’Angelo and Vatican City, the church claims that it is the “Pope’s closest Protestant neighbor,” which may well be true. Its 100-seat sanctuary hosts intimate evening concerts featuring some of history’s most beloved and recognized arias, making the performances engaging even for opera novices and kids. You’ll want to book your tickets ahead of time for these popular performances, and perhaps opt to join the postconcert reception with the performers. Make an evening of it with a package tour that includes dinner as well.
Things to Know Before You Go
Performances are held in the early evening and can easily be paired with dinner afterwards at one of the many nearby restaurants.
The dress code for performances at the church is smart casual, keeping in mind that appropriate dress and decorum are required in this place of worship.
The church is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The Chiesa Metodista di Ponte Sant'Angelo is located along the banks of the Tiber River just across from Ponte Sant’Angelo, Rome’s most famous pedestrian bridge. Bus 64 runs from the Termini train station to Castel Sant'Angelo, or you can walk from the Vatican.
When to Get There
Concerts and opera performances are held at the church in the evenings; services are held on Sunday mornings. After the evening performance, be sure to walk across the Sant’Angelo Bridge, theatrically lit at night and offering beautiful night views over the Tiber.
This sculpted marble bridge, which spans the Tiber between Castel Sant'Angelo and the historic center of Rome, is lined with 10 beautiful angel statues based on designs by Bernini. Considered the most photogenic pedestrian bridge in Rome, Ponte Sant’Angelo is a striking way to approach St. Peter’s Square in Vatican City.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Sant'Angelo Bridge (Ponte Sant'Angelo)
- Castel Sant'Angelo National Museum (Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo)
- Tiber River (Fiume Tevere)
- Chiesa Nuova (Chiesa di Santa Maria in Vallicella)
- Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante)
- Church of Santa Maria della Pace (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pace)
- Leonardo Da Vinci Experience Museum (Museo Leonardo Da Vinci Experience)
- Stadium of Domitian (Stadio di Domiziano)
- Palazzo Altemps
- Welcome to Rome
- Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone (Chiesa di Sant'Agnese in Agone)
- Basilica di Sant'Agostino
- Fountain of the Four Rivers (Fontana delle Quattro Fiumi)
- Piazza Navona
- Pamphilj Palace (Palazzo Pamphilj)