Maritime Museum of San Diego
The collection of ships creates an engaging environment not found in many maritime museums. Each vessel hosts its own exhibits, from those focused on the Navy to that of commercial fishing, early sailing explorers, and more. Plus, the museum’s many ships are more than just relics—they are functioning sailing vessels. Take a historic bay cruise aboard Pilot, embark on a sailing adventure on the schooner Californian, and see the ship that starred in Pirates of the Carribean.
Recent reviews from experiences in San Diego
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum is a must-visit for maritime enthusiasts.
You can add a bay cruise to your museum admission for a small fee.
While much of the museum is wheelchair accessible, some areas are not due to historic construction.
If you are traveling with a group of 10 or more people, you can book a docent-led tour.
How to Get There
The museum is located just off I-5 on Harbor Drive. From the interstate, take the Airport exit and follow signs for Embarcadero-Maritime Museum. The museum is located 3 miles (5 kilometers) from the international airport and within walking distance of the cruise ship terminal. You can also reach the museum on the San Diego Trolley.
When to Get There
Visit the museum year-round to explore its many exhibits or to take a harbor cruise. The museum hosts numerous public events—ranging from concerts to pirate-themed adventures. Check out the museum’s online event schedule for more details.
Exploring San Diego’s Waterfront
A visit to the Maritime Museum of San Diego is just the start of the seaside attractions you can explore along San Diego's Embarcadero. Less than a mile south of the maritime museum you can shop and dine at Seaport Village. Between the two, stop in at the USS Midway Museum and enjoy photo opportunities and public art displays along the way.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada
- B-Street Pier & Cruise Ship Terminal
- Little Italy San Diego
- USS Midway Museum
- San Diego Harbor
- Seaport Village
- New Children's Museum
- Gaslamp Museum at the Davis-Horton House
- Downtown San Diego
- Gaslamp Quarter
- San Diego Convention Center
- San Diego Air & Space Museum
- San Diego Automotive Museum
- San Diego Sports Association
- Petco Park