Monterey and Carmel Day Trips from San Francisco
The coastal highway from San Francisco to the Monterey Peninsula is one of the most beautiful drives in California. Whether you plan to explore the peninsula’s quaint towns or learn about its rich history, here’s how to make the most of a day trip.
*Relax and enjoy the sceneryof the Pacific Ocean’s iconic, rugged coastline during the drive down Highway 1.
See unparalleled exhibits of marine life from all over the world at the famousMonterey Bay Aquarium.
Step into a John Steinbeck novel by exploringMonterey’s Cannery Row and Fisherman’s Wharf.
Stop off at Pebble Beach Village to visit thePebble Beach Golf Courseand see the stunning, coastside 18th green.
Get a glimpse of early California history at theold Spanish mission of Carmel.
Visit Carmel-by-the-Sea and the unbelievably scenic 17-Mile Drive, including the photo-worthyLone Cypress.
Things to Know
The gorgeous drive from San Francisco to Monterey down the Pacific coast takes about four hours.
The return trip to San Francisco via the inland route (past the Silicon Valley tech campuses) takes about 2.5 hours.
A private day tour allows you to customize your own itinerary and receive the undivided attention of your guide.
4 Tours and Activities | All San Francisco Tours
- How to Get Off the Beaten Path in San Francisco
- Food Lover's Guide to the San Francisco Bay Area
- San Francisco Museums After Dark
- San Francisco Dining Cruises
- Don't-Miss Dishes in San Francisco
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in San Francisco
- Biking Across the Golden Gate Bridge
- Monterey and Carmel Day Trips from San Francisco