Top San Francisco Historical Tours
- Take a step away from Fisherman’s Wharf and Alcatraz to explore the luxe 1920s and ‘30s history of the city’s Financial District on an Art Deco walking tour.
- Learn about neighborhood ghosts and spirits and hear chilling tales and mysteries on a tour of haunted Chinatown after dark.
- Walk the historic Barbary Coast Trail, discovering historic buildings and saloons on the old waterfront and learning about the city's notorious reputation during and after the California Gold Rush.
- Be inspired by the rich, diverse history of the iconic Castro district and its continuing role as an epicenter of LGBTQ activism and events.
- Learn about the Beat generation, the Barbary Coast, and San Francisco’s Little Italy on a North Beach historical walking tour that includes admission to the Beat Museum.
- Wander up Nob Hill, watch a cable car go by, and learn some posh San Francisco history as you see landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge and the San Francisco Bay from above.
114 results | All San Francisco Tours
* A traveler said: "Our tour guide Judith made this already amazing tour even better - she was super knowledgeable and her driving skills were amazing - this is a do not miss tour - you may think it’s hokey but it’s not at all - fabulous way to start your trip - she will give you lots of insight and tips about what to do on your stay - I highly recommend this tour!"
* A traveler said: "First class tour service in a vintage VW. We really enjoyed this way to see the city sights. Really appreciate the last minute rescheduling because of flight delays."
* A traveler said: "Great guide, entertaining and very knowledgeable. Explained Chinese history in San Fran. And a great Chinese lunch to top it off. Loved it."
* A traveler said: "Brian did awesome! Portions were great & everything we had was so yummy. 11/10 recommend! You won’t leave hungry that’s for sure!"
* A traveler said: "Tour guides were very friendly and engaging. Even if your not a believer the history and stories are worth it."
* A traveler said: "This was one of the best tours we have ever taken! We couldn’t ask for a better guide than Brian. Not only was he hilarious, but his knowledge of the neighborhoods and town really made this tour special!"
* A traveler said: "Seeing all of the neighborhoods that comprise the culture of the city. Our tour guide, Jake, mentioned that he loved his job, and you cold see that he truly did, with his knowlege of the history of the city, his enthusiasm and sense of humor!!"
* A traveler said: "Joseph was very knowledgeable about all of San Francisco. We learned so much more than we thought we would and he gave great suggestions for dinner."
* A traveler said: "Great guide and tour! The guide gave us a lot of information about the city and movies. We visit differents places of san francisco."
* A traveler said: "Kathy was a great guide! Fun to see the neighborhood and learn its history from someone who lives in and loves it."
* A traveler said: "Like the tour but would have been nice to have a live person explaining instead of an audiobook . But the lunch coupon was very nice and you could pick were you want to go"
* A traveler said: "WOW! This was a very informative, interesting and historical tour. We loved it, we loved the food, we especially loved our guide Gimmy! She was amazing, knowledgeable and adorable! I would highly recommend this tour!"
* A traveler said: "Our driver was very knowledgeable and had a great presentation. He was very engaged and had fun side facts as well. The trip was more detailed than I thought and I saw things I had not seen on previous visits. It was a great trip. Highly recommended."
* A traveler said: "Our guide was amazing in keeping us entertained the entire drive and gave us fantastic tips about where to walk and what places to try"
* A traveler said: "Our guide Cynthia was amazing. She grew up in China Town and knew the area very well. Lots of good information and more food then most could eat. Best Peking duck we’ve ever had."
* A traveler said: "This tour was amazing! Everything was super well organized and our tour guide was super knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor. I would highly recommend this tour as a way to see Muir Woods, Alcatraz, and many SF neighborhoods with no stress!"
* A traveler said: "Very informative and lots of fun. The Golden Gate Bridge was awesome and to see the fog roll in on one side and clear in the other was fascinating"
* A traveler said: "Great walking tour and very responsive and communicative guide! I took my family from out of town and it was a great experience."
* A traveler said: "The info is very helpful and it was great to know how The Rock was before. I would definitely recommend this."
* A traveler said: "A great experience to tour the city, take scenic pictures, and learn more about the history of beautiful San Francisco."
* A traveler said: "Very enjoyable tour. If appreciate history and architecture, strongly recommend. Valarie was both knowledgeable and personable."
* A traveler said: "Learned a lot about the city we’ve lived in for ten years! “Emperor Norton’s” knowledge, the route and the history were fantastic. Especially fun to see where the city ended/bay started back then as we walked through the old Barbary Coast. Would highly recommend!"
* A traveler said: "Jamie was awesome! He was very knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor. We learned a lot about the buildings and the city from the past. Definitely worth it!"
Frequently Asked Questions
- Vesuvio Cafe
- Lombard Street
- San Francisco Dungeon
- Coit Tower
- San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
- Toronado Pub
- Mission Dolores Park
- Marina District
- SS Jeremiah O'Brien
- SoMa (South of Market)
- Civic Center
- Pier 39
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMoMA)
- War Memorial Opera House
- San Francisco Playhouse
- Madame Tussauds San Francisco
- Barbary Coast Trail
- Lands End
- North Beach
- Hayes Valley
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon
Day Trips from San Francisco
- San Francisco to Yosemite National Park
- San Francisco to Muir Woods
- San Francisco to Alcatraz
- San Francisco to Napa & Sonoma
- San Francisco to Fisherman's Wharf
- San Francisco to Golden Gate Bridge
- San Francisco to Union Square
- San Francisco to Castello di Amorosa
- San Francisco to Pebble Beach
- San Francisco to 17-Mile Drive
- San Francisco to Monterey Fisherman’s Wharf
- San Francisco to El Capitan
- San Francisco to Half Dome
- San Francisco to Yosemite Falls
- San Francisco to Santa Rosa
- San Francisco to San Jose
- San Francisco to Sausalito