Children's Museum (Museo de los Ninos)
The whimsical painted exterior of the Children’s Museum hides a surprising history. The building was formerly a penitentiary with a brutal reputation. After the prison closed, it lay empty until the former first lady of Costa Rica, Gloria Bejarano de Calderon, had the idea of creating an informative space for children. The museum is dedicated to the idea of learning through playing and exploring, and welcomes many thousands of visitors each year.
Visit the Children’s Museum on its own with a skip-the-line ticket or as part of a sightseeing tour of San Jose.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Entry to the museum is via paid ticket.
- The museum hosts special exhibitions along with the permanent collection.
- There is a cafeteria on-site.
- Children can see live animals in the farm exhibit.
How to Get There
The Children’s Museum is located at Avenida 9, Calle 4, just north of downtown in San Jose, Costa Rica’s capital city. It is reachable by taxi—walking to the museum is not recommended.
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesday to Friday, 8am–4:30pm, and Saturday and Sunday, from 9:30am–5pm. The museum is closed Mondays. Last entry is one hour before closing time.
Get Some Fresh Air in Sabana Park With 175 acres (71 hectares) of forest green space crossed with walking trails, Sabana Park is the perfect antidote to a day of city sightseeing in San Jose. Open grassy areas invite soccer games and picnic parties, while the outdoor swimming pool is a great place to cool off from the hot Costa Rican sun.
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- San Jose Central Market (Mercado Central)
- Jade Museum (Museo del Jade)
- Metallic Building (Ed)ificio Metálico)
- Plaza de la Cultura
- Yellow House (Casa Amarilla)
- Gold Museum
- National Theater (Teatro Nacional)
- National Museum (Museo Nacional)
- Morazan Park
- Braulio Carrillo National Park
- Costa Rican Art Museum (Museo de Arte Costarricense)
- La Sabana Park
- Rescate Animal Zooave
- Orosi River Valley (El Valle del Rio Orosi)